How fast must a meter stick be moving if its length is....

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the speed at which a meter stick must be moving in order for its length to shrink to 0.500 meters. The equation v/c = sqrt(1 - (1/L)^2) is used, with the correct answer being sqrt(3)c/2 or approximately 2.5 X 10^8 km/sec. It is important to keep all digits in intermediate steps to minimize rounding errors.
Tonia

Homework Statement

How fast must a meter stick be moving of its length is measured to shrink to 0.500 meters?

Homework Equations

v/c = sqrt(1 - (1/L)^2) = sqrt(1 - 1/4) = sqrt(3/4) = sqrt(3)/2 or use v = sqrt(3)c/2

The Attempt at a Solution

(squrt 3c/2) = squrt 450000000 = 21213.203 = 21213.2 km/sec.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have taken sqrt(3c/2) instead of sqrt(3) c/2 ... The square root of a velocity can never be a velocity.

So it's (sqrt of 3)/(c/2)??

No, your original math when arriving at sqrt(3) c/2 was correct. What you did not do correctly was inserting numbers into this formula. There is a difference between sqrt(3) c/2 and sqrt(3c/2)...

So my answer is correct? I still don't understand.

No, it is not correct. What part of sqrt(3) c/2 is not equal to sqrt(3c/2) do you find confusing.

After I take the square root of 3, I multiply that by the c/2??

Yes, this is what your expression tells you to do.

1.7320 times c/2 = 1.7320 times 150,000,000 = 2.598E8 = 2.598 X 10^8 km/sec

Better, but as you are giving the speed of light with one significant digit, you really should not have four significant digits in your answer.

1.7 times 150,000,000 = 2.55E^8 = 2.5 X 10^8 km/sec.

You should always keep all digits in intermediate steps, otherwise your results will contain rounding errors which can propagate and amplify. The more correct thing to do would be to simply round the final result down to two significant digits.

Other than that my answer is correct?

Related to How fast must a meter stick be moving if its length is....

1. How fast must a meter stick be moving if its length is shortened by half?

The speed of the meter stick would have to be at least half the speed of light, which is approximately 149,896,229 meters per second.

2. How fast must a meter stick be moving if its length is doubled?

The speed of the meter stick would have to be at least twice the speed of light, which is not possible according to Einstein's theory of relativity.

3. How fast must a meter stick be moving if its length is increased by 10%?

The speed of the meter stick would have to be greater than the speed of light, which is not possible according to the laws of physics.

4. How fast must a meter stick be moving if its length is reduced by 20%?

The speed of the meter stick would have to be greater than the speed of light, which is not possible according to the laws of physics.

5. How fast must a meter stick be moving if its length is unchanged?

The speed of the meter stick can be any speed, as long as it is not exceeding the speed of light.