How Fast Must a Pion Travel to Avoid Decay Over 1.9 km?

• Thread starter student34
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, the pion must travel at a speed of 1.90*10^9m/s to not decay before it reaches the end of the tube.
student34

Homework Statement

After being produced in a collision between elementary particles, a positive pion must travel down a 1.90 km long tube to reach an experimental area. A positive pion has an average lifetime of to = 2.60*10^(-8)s; the pion we are considering has this lifetime. How fast must the pion travel if it is not to decay before it reaches the end of the tube?

(I put "basic" in the title because it is a chapter in my first year physics program that introduces relativity)

Homework Equations

L = Lo*(1 - u^2/c^2)^(1/2)

or maybe Δt = Δto/(1 - u^2/c^2)^(1/2)

where

L = 1900m, and Lo = ? (the length of the tube relative to the pion).

Δto = 2.60*10^(-8)s, and Δt = ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start because these formulas require more information. Is it even possible to do this question with the information given? If so, can someone help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, student34.

First of all, double check the meaning of symbols in the equations. You've got them mixed at one point.(which symbols represent the length and time in a stationary reference frame?)

As for the solution, consider:

When you observe the pion, its time is dilated, but the length it has to travel is the same.

When the pion observes the tube, its time is unchanged, but the tube is length contracted.

Choose one and simply use V=L/t.

Bandersnatch said:
Hi, student34.

First of all, double check the meaning of symbols in the equations. You've got them mixed at one point.(which symbols represent the length and time in a stationary reference frame?)

I figured it out, but V = L/t did not work for V = (1.9km)/(2.60*10^(-8)s). Forgive me if that was not what you meant. And in case your interested, I will explain everything.

To answer your first question, I was thinking that Δto is the time relative to the pion (proper time) which is 2.60*10^(-8)s. And Δt would be the unknown "observed" time. We know the length relative to the observer L = 1.9km, but we don't know Lo (length relative to the pion).

As for the solution, consider:

When you observe the pion, its time is dilated, but the length it has to travel is the same.

When the pion observes the tube, its time is unchanged, but the tube is length contracted.

Choose one and simply use V=L/t.

My issue was that the equation that seemed to be needed for this question Δt = Δto/(1 - u^2/c^2)^(1/2) has two unknowns, u and Δt. But it finally dawned on me that I can put u in terms of L/Δt and then just isolate Δt. It gives the right answer.

Related to How Fast Must a Pion Travel to Avoid Decay Over 1.9 km?

1. What is the concept of relativity?

The concept of relativity refers to the theory developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century that describes how the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative velocity. It also explains how time and space are relative, and can be affected by the presence of massive objects.

2. How is basic relativity different from general relativity?

Basic relativity, or special relativity, deals with the relationship between space and time for objects moving at a constant velocity. General relativity, on the other hand, includes the effects of gravity and how it affects the fabric of space and time.

3. What are the key principles of relativity?

The key principles of relativity are the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the principle of the constancy of the speed of light, which states that the speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

4. How does relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

Relativity has greatly impacted our understanding of the universe by providing a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of how gravity works and how objects in motion behave. It has also helped in the development of technologies such as GPS and has led to new discoveries in astronomy and astrophysics.

5. Can you give an example of how relativity is applied in everyday life?

One example of how relativity is applied in everyday life is through the use of GPS devices. GPS relies on the principles of relativity to accurately measure time and position in order to provide navigation directions. Without taking relativity into account, GPS would not be as accurate as it is today.