How Fast Must a Salmon Jump to Clear a 1.9m Waterfall?

In summary, a frictionless roller coaster with a 12000kg car starting at rest from point A at 95m high, coming down to point B at 65m, bouncing back to point C at 65m, and then to point D at 25m before coming to a stop at point E. The total energy of the system can be calculated, as well as the speed at point B, the force needed to bring it to a stop at point C, and the work needed to bring it to a stop at point E. The minimum vertical velocity needed for a salmon to reach the top of a 1.9m waterfall is 6.1m/s.
kkumar
In its final trip upstream to its spawning territory, a salmon jumps to the top of a waterfall 1.9m high. What is the minimum vertical velocity neeeded by the salmon to reach the top of the waterfall?

This uestion has no velocity so, do you think that final velocity is Zero...
solution:

Vfinal y=0m/s
Vfinal X=at as initial velocity for x is 0
dy=1.9m
V final y=v initial y+2ady
0=v initial y+2*(-9.8)*1.9
V initial = 37.24m/s

Please help me in solving this uestion

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kkumar,

I believe you have the equation wrong. The velocities are squared, so it is:

[tex]
v_y^2 = v_{oy}^2 + 2 a_y(\Delta y)
[/tex]

and so you need to take a square root to get your final answer.

Thanks for your help in soiving my problem.

Hello I need help with this question as soon as possible. Can anyone help me out?

1) Consider the frictionless roller coaster. A car 12000kg car starts at rest from point A The height of point A is 95 m and comes down to point B which is at height of 65m and then bounce back again to point C which is at height 65m again and then bounce back to point D which is 25 m from the bottom and then rolls on the floor and stops at a point E.

A) calculate the total energy of the system
B) the speed of the car at point B
C) the force that must be applied to bring it to a stop at point.
D) The work done to bring it to a stop at point E.

I have worked it out but not sure if it is right.
Thank in advance for working on it

alphysicist said:
Hi kkumar,

I believe you have the equation wrong. The velocities are squared, so it is:

[tex]
v_y^2 = v_{oy}^2 + 2 a_y(\Delta y)
[/tex]

and so you need to take a square root to get your final answer.

hi alphysicist i need ur help with dis ques--> in its final trip upstream to its spawning territory, a salmon jumps to the top of a waterfall 1.9 m high. what is the minimum vertical velocity needed by the salmon to reach the top of the waterfall?

Hi hardlyfe,

hardlyfe said:
hi alphysicist i need ur help with dis ques--> in its final trip upstream to its spawning territory, a salmon jumps to the top of a waterfall 1.9 m high. what is the minimum vertical velocity needed by the salmon to reach the top of the waterfall?

What have you tried so far? What equation have you used, what numbers are you using, and what did you get for an answer?

so i tried solving it by ur formula the answer that i got is 6.1 m/s for Viy. but I am not sure if dis answer is rit or wrong...

thnx a lot for replyin ma ques..

hardlyfe said:
so i tried solving it by ur formula the answer that i got is 6.1 m/s for Viy. but I am not sure if dis answer is rit or wrong...

thnx a lot for replyin ma ques..

That looks right to me. Does it not seem right to you?

thnx anywaz...

Related to How Fast Must a Salmon Jump to Clear a 1.9m Waterfall?

What is motion in two dimensions?

Motion in two dimensions refers to the movement of an object in a plane, where it can move both horizontally and vertically at the same time. It is often described using vectors, which have both magnitude and direction.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a scalar quantity that measures how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a vector quantity that measures both the speed and direction of motion. In other words, velocity takes into account the direction of motion while speed does not.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is a special type of motion in two dimensions where an object is launched into the air and moves under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

What is the formula for calculating displacement in two dimensions?

The formula for calculating displacement in two dimensions is d = √(Δx² + Δy²), where d is the displacement, Δx is the change in horizontal position, and Δy is the change in vertical position.

How does acceleration affect motion in two dimensions?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, so it can affect motion in two dimensions by changing the speed and/or direction of an object's motion. Acceleration can be constant or changing, and it is always perpendicular to the velocity vector.