How Fast Must Superman Fly to Stop a Moving Train Safely?

In summary: But my point is, if you use this value of F, your result will be in hours and you'll be consistent.In summary, the problem is asking for the speed at which Superman must fly into a train to stop it, taking into account the passengers' safety. The minimum time required to stop the train is calculated using the conservation of momentum and the maximum horizontal force experienced by the passengers. The distance the train travels while being slowed to a stop can be calculated using the work-energy theorem, taking into account the force applied by Superman.
Smartguy94

Homework Statement

Find the speed at which Superman (mass=89.0 kg) must fly into a train (mass = 17755 kg) traveling at 85.0 km/hr to stop it.

Running into the train at that speed would severely damage both train and passengers. Calculate the minimum time Superman must take to stop the train, if the passengers experience an average horizontal force of 0.410 their own weight

How far does the train then travel while being slowed to a stop?

Homework Equations

p=mv
F=dp/dt
F=ma
J= p2-p1
J=F(t2-t1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the speed at which superman should fly by

m1v1=m2v2
17755*85.0=89.0*v2
v2=1.70×10^4 km/hr

for the minimum time this is what I do, but I got it wrong

since J=F(t2-t1)
and J=p(final)-p(initial)
then J=mv-mv
J=(89)(0)-(89)(1.70×10^4)
J=1513000

J=F(t2-t1)
1513000=(.41)(t)
t=3.68x10^6hr

then for the distance I couldn't calculate it because I had no idea what the time is

Physics news on Phys.org
Superman has to do work on the train to slow it to a stop - this work is the change in kinetic energy of the train and work is force (given) times distance.

You could treat it as a kinematics problem, assuming constant acceleration. The v-t graph is a triangle height vtrain and base T (= time to stop), the slope of the graph is the acceleration: a = -F/mtrain = vtrain/T but conservation of energy is the way to go here.

To calculate the time required to bring the train to a halt you've chosen to use the change in momentum, Δp = F*Δt = M*Δv (You called Δp "J"). Then
[tex] \Delta t = \frac{M \Delta v}{F} [/tex]The problem is, you need to know what F is. You're given the hint that the maximum horizontal force on a given passenger should be 0.410 times their weight. Well, if their weight is m*g then F = 0.410*m*g, and the maximum acceleration would be F/m = 0.410*g. Apply this acceleration to the train as a whole and you get:
[tex] F = 0.410 M g [/tex]
You'll have to be careful with the units here! You've been working with km and hours, and g is usually specified in m and seconds.

Related to How Fast Must Superman Fly to Stop a Moving Train Safely?

1. How does momentum affect a train's ability to stop?

Momentum is a measure of an object's mass and velocity. In the case of a moving train, its momentum is directly related to its mass and speed. The greater the momentum, the more force is needed to stop the train.

2. What factors influence a train's momentum?

The main factors that influence a train's momentum are its mass and its velocity. The greater the mass of the train, the greater its momentum. Similarly, the faster the train is moving, the greater its momentum.

3. How can momentum be used to stop a train?

To stop a train, the force of the brakes must be greater than the train's momentum. This force is applied by the train's brakes, which convert the train's kinetic energy into heat, slowing it down and eventually bringing it to a stop.

4. What happens if the momentum of a train is too great?

If the momentum of a train is too great, it can be difficult to stop the train in time to prevent a collision. In addition, excessive momentum can cause damage to the train's brakes and tracks, leading to potential safety hazards.

5. How does momentum affect the distance a train takes to stop?

The greater the momentum of a train, the longer the distance it will take to stop. This is due to the fact that more force is needed to overcome the train's momentum, resulting in a longer braking distance. Other factors, such as the condition of the brakes and the train's speed, can also affect the stopping distance.