How Fast Should Devita Release the Kite String?

• Thread starter stressedgirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of flying a kite and determining the rate at which the string must be let out. The initial conditions are given, including the kite's height and the horizontal velocity at which it is being blown. The conversation also includes a diagram and calculation to determine the average velocity, but the final answer does not match the teacher's expected result. Further discussion is needed to determine the error and arrive at the correct solution.
stressedgirl

Homework Statement

Devita is standing still teachnig Matthew about flying a kite. The kite is already 15 m high and she has let 25 m of string. It is now being blown directly away from her at a constant height with a horizontal velocity of 2.0 m/s. At what rate must Devita be letting out the string?

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so first I drew vector components for the displacement. You get an angle using sin(15/25) = 36.9 deg.

Then I drew a diagram like so:
[URL]http://img819.imageshack.us/i/diagrm33.png/[/URL]

I calculated for the VAvg and got VAvg = 2.5 m/s, but my teacher says it is supposed to be 1.6. Ideas??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
stressedgirl said:
Ok so first I drew vector components for the displacement. You get an angle using sin(15/25) = 36.9 deg.

Then I drew a diagram like so:
[URL]http://img819.imageshack.us/i/diagrm33.png/[/URL]

I calculated for the VAvg and got VAvg = 2.5 m/s, but my teacher says it is supposed to be 1.6. Ideas??

Sure! Plenty of ideas!

First though, your image link didn't show up in your post, possibly because it wasn't associated with some text string. http://img819.imageshack.us/i/diagrm33.png/"

Perhaps you could show the details of your calculation, and describe why it should yield the rate of string release.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How Fast Should Devita Release the Kite String?

1. What is 2-D Kinematics?

2-D Kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects in two-dimensional space. It involves the study of position, velocity, and acceleration of objects moving in a plane or on a flat surface.

2. How is 2-D Kinematics different from 1-D Kinematics?

1-D Kinematics deals with the motion of objects in a straight line, while 2-D Kinematics deals with the motion of objects in two dimensions. This means that 2-D Kinematics takes into account both horizontal and vertical components of an object's motion.

3. What are the equations used in 2-D Kinematics?

The equations used in 2-D Kinematics are the same as those used in 1-D Kinematics, with the addition of equations for motion in the vertical direction. These include equations for position, velocity, and acceleration in both the x and y directions.

4. How is the motion of an object described in 2-D Kinematics?

In 2-D Kinematics, the motion of an object is described using vectors. The position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in two dimensions are represented by vectors with both magnitude and direction.

5. What are some real-life applications of 2-D Kinematics?

2-D Kinematics is used in a variety of fields, including engineering, sports, and navigation. Some examples of real-life applications include calculating the trajectory of a projectile, analyzing the motion of a car on a curved track, and predicting the motion of a ball thrown by a pitcher in baseball.