How Fast Should I Toss the Wrench to Reach the Roof?

In summary: Then set the two equations equal to each other. In summary, the problem can be solved by setting two kinematic equations equal to each other, with one equation containing the desired unknown variable and the other equation containing all known variables.
VKK

Homework Statement

my friend is standing on the roof of my house trying to fix the satellite. Suppose he needs a wrench and asked me to toss one up to him. If i stand 20.0m away and toss the wrench to the top of the 10.0m tall building, what is the magnitude of the velocity with which I need to throw the wrench?

Homework Equations

Kinematic Equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

Vox = ? Vx = ? ax = 0 T = ? Distance in x direction = 20
Voy = ? Vy = ? ax = -9.9 T = ? Distance in the y direction = -10

I got a hint that said two kinematic equations need to be set equal to each other to solve for time and initial Vx velocity, but i have no idea how to set that up... Exam tomorrow... please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
VKK said:

Homework Statement

my friend is standing on the roof of my house trying to fix the satellite. Suppose he needs a wrench and asked me to toss one up to him. If i stand 20.0m away and toss the wrench to the top of the 10.0m tall building, what is the magnitude of the velocity with which I need to throw the wrench?

Homework Equations

Kinematic Equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

Vox = ? Vx = ? ax = 0 T = ? Distance in x direction = 20
Voy = ? Vy = ? ax = -9.9 T = ? Distance in the y direction = -10

I got a hint that said two kinematic equations need to be set equal to each other to solve for time and initial Vx velocity, but i have no idea how to set that up... Exam tomorrow... please help!
For these questions is always best to write down two lists: (a) A list containing all the things you do know; (b) A list containing all the things you want to know. So, in this case

Know
  1. Vertical acceleration (-g)
  2. Horizontal Acceleration (0)
  3. Initial height (0)
  4. Initial horizontal displacement (0)
  5. Final height (10)
  6. Final x-displacement (20)

Want to know
  1. Initial speed in x-direction
  2. Initial speed in y-direction

So the trick now is to find two SUVAT equations, each which contain only one of the things you want to know and where you know everything else in the formula.

Related to How Fast Should I Toss the Wrench to Reach the Roof?

1. What are the kinematics equations used for?

The kinematics equations are used to describe the motion of an object in terms of its position, velocity, and acceleration. They are commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving motion.

2. How many kinematics equations are there?

There are three primary kinematics equations, also known as the SUVAT equations, which relate an object's initial and final position, velocity, acceleration, and time. These equations can be combined and rearranged to solve for different variables.

3. What are the three SUVAT equations?

The three SUVAT equations are:
- s = ut + 1/2at^2 (relates an object's displacement, initial velocity, acceleration, and time)
- v = u + at (relates an object's final velocity, initial velocity, acceleration, and time)
- v^2 = u^2 + 2as (relates an object's final velocity, initial velocity, acceleration, and displacement)

4. What is the difference between linear and angular kinematics?

Linear kinematics deals with the motion of objects in a straight line, while angular kinematics deals with the motion of objects in a circular or rotational path. The equations used for linear kinematics are different from those used for angular kinematics.

5. How do I use kinematics equations to solve problems?

To solve a kinematics problem, you first need to identify the known variables and the unknown variable that you are trying to solve for. Then, choose the appropriate kinematics equation and rearrange it to solve for the unknown variable. It is important to pay attention to units and use the correct equations for the type of motion being described (linear or angular).