How Fast Was the Train in Ballot's Doppler Shift Experiment?

In summary, the Doppler shift was first tested in 1845 by French scientist B. Ballot using a trumpet player and a train. The calculated speed of the train was 3.745 m/s, but the correct frequencies to use in the formula are 463 and 468.
bmbradley

Homework Statement

The Doppler shift was first tested in 1845 by the French scientist B. Ballot. He had a trumpet player sound a 463 Hz note while riding on a flat-car pulled by a locomotive. At the same time, a stationary trumpeter played the same note. Ballot heard 5 beats/s. How fast was the train moving toward him? The speed of sound in air is 343 m/s . Answer in units of m/s.

Homework Equations

f1=(v/(v+vs))f
where f1=463-5=458
v=343 m/s
and f=463

The Attempt at a Solution

458=(343/(343+vs))463
.9892=343/(343+vs)
vs=3.745

I have put in the answer at 3.745 and I also switched f1 and f and got 3.704, but both of those answers are wrong. Please help me figure out what I am doing wrong!

Physics news on Phys.org
Greetings! The formula for beats is fB = f1 - f2, where f1 is the higher frequency. Thus f1 is the frequency the listener hears from the trumpet on the train, while f2 is the frequency he hears from the stationary trumpet. Therefore, I believe f1 = fB + f2.

the above post is correct. the frequencies you are looking for are 463 and 468.

Related to How Fast Was the Train in Ballot's Doppler Shift Experiment?

1. What is the Doppler Shift Train Problem?

The Doppler Shift Train Problem is a classic physics problem that involves the concept of the Doppler effect, which describes the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave due to relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. In this problem, a train is moving towards an observer, causing a change in the frequency of the train's sound waves that can be observed by the person.

2. How is the Doppler Shift Train Problem solved?

The problem can be solved using the formula: observed frequency = emitted frequency x (speed of sound + speed of observer) / (speed of sound - speed of train). This formula takes into account the relative velocities of the train, the observer, and the speed of sound to calculate the observed frequency.

3. What factors affect the observed frequency in the Doppler Shift Train Problem?

The observed frequency in the Doppler Shift Train Problem is affected by three main factors: the emitted frequency of the train's sound waves, the speed of the train, and the speed of the observer. These factors determine the amount of change in frequency that the observer experiences.

4. What is the significance of the Doppler Shift Train Problem?

The Doppler Shift Train Problem is significant because it demonstrates the real-world application of the Doppler effect, which is a fundamental concept in physics. It also helps us understand how relative motion can affect the perception of sound and provides a practical example for students learning about this phenomenon.

5. Can the Doppler Shift Train Problem be applied to other scenarios?

Yes, the concept of the Doppler effect can be applied to a wide range of scenarios, including the movement of stars and galaxies in astronomy, the measurement of blood flow in medical imaging, and the detection of objects using radar technology. The same formula used to solve the Doppler Shift Train Problem can be applied in these situations to calculate the observed frequency or wavelength.