How Fast Would a Nitrogen Molecule Travel with Photon Energy?

In summary, the problem involves determining the speed of a gas molecule based on its energy, which is given by the wavelength of various electromagnetic radiations. The equations used to solve the problem include E=hc/lambda and KE=1/2mv^2. There is also a suggestion to use the Debroglie equation.
solsek

Homework Statement

Consider a gas-phase N2 molecule. It's RMS speed is given by

Vrms = (3kT/m)^(1/2)

What speed would the gas molecule have if it had the same energy as a photon of the following wavelengths of IR, visible, UV and X-Ray electromagnetic radiation?

lambda = 1.000E4nm, 500nm, 100nm, 0.10nm

Homework Equations

E=hc, E=hc/lambda E = (mv^2)/2 , not sure if we should use lambda = h / p (momentum)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I don't know how to use the Vrms equation that is given in the problem. I am not sure if we need to use it at all (Btw, this in the first problem set of my pchem class so it should be pretty easy, I am just not sure if I am doing it right).

E = hc/lambda, using this equation we can find the energy of the gas molecule if it had the wavelength given in the problem.

Once we find the energy E we can use KE = 1/2mv^2 to some for v.

I am not sure if we are supposed to use this method or use the Debroglie equation where lambda = h / mv and solve for velocity that way.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
solsek said:
E = hc/lambda, using this equation we can find the energy of the gas molecule if it had the wavelength given in the problem.

Once we find the energy E we can use KE = 1/2mv^2 to some for v.
That is how I would solve it. Not sure why they bothered with the vrms equation :confused:

Your approach is correct. You can use the formula E=hc/lambda to find the energy of the photon for each given wavelength. Then, using the formula E=(mv^2)/2, you can solve for the velocity of the gas molecule. This approach is valid and will give you the correct answer. Alternatively, you can also use the Debroglie equation where lambda = h/mv and solve for velocity. Both methods will give you the same answer. It's good to explore and use different equations to solve a problem, so you can choose whichever method you feel more comfortable with.

Related to How Fast Would a Nitrogen Molecule Travel with Photon Energy?

1. What is the speed of a molecule?

The speed of a molecule can vary greatly depending on factors such as temperature, pressure, and the type of molecule. On average, however, the speed of a molecule is around 500 meters per second.

2. How does temperature affect the speed of a molecule?

As temperature increases, the speed of a molecule also increases. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy to the molecules, allowing them to move faster.

3. Can the speed of a molecule be measured?

Yes, the speed of a molecule can be measured using various techniques such as spectroscopy or gas diffusion methods. These methods allow scientists to observe the movement of molecules and calculate their speed.

4. Is the speed of a molecule constant?

No, the speed of a molecule is not constant. As mentioned before, it can vary depending on external conditions. Additionally, the speed of a molecule can also change due to collisions with other molecules or particles.

5. How does the speed of a molecule affect its behavior?

The speed of a molecule can have a significant impact on its behavior. Faster-moving molecules are more likely to collide with other molecules, creating chemical reactions. In gases, the speed of a molecule also determines its pressure and volume, as well as its ability to escape into the atmosphere.