How Frequency Division Multiplexing works

These are frequency selective, so each filter only lets through a certain frequency band. For example, a TV set might have a set of filters to select the channels, 2, 5, 9, 13, 28, 32, 41, 47, 55, 59, 66, 70 and 121. In summary, FDM (Frequency Division Multiplexing) is a technique that divides the total frequency of a carrier channel into smaller frequency channels. These smaller channels can either have their own independent waves over the communication medium, or the carrier wave can be modulated in a way that allows it to work for all the smaller channels. This is achieved through the use of filters that separate out the
justwild
I know that FDM actually uses a division of total frequency of the carrier channel to separate into several smaller frequency channels. I want to know that whether these small channels are actually having their own waves over the communication medium or the carrier wave is modulated in such a way that it works for all the smaller channels?
If they are having their own waves over the communication channel then please explain how can two waves travel over the same medium.
I always assume signals to be like AC current...how can two AC current travel over the same wire!

Physics news on Phys.org
justwild said:
I know that FDM actually uses a division of total frequency of the carrier channel to separate into several smaller frequency channels. I want to know that whether these small channels are actually having their own waves over the communication medium or the carrier wave is modulated in such a way that it works for all the smaller channels?
If they are having their own waves over the communication channel then please explain how can two waves travel over the same medium.
I always assume signals to be like AC current...how can two AC current travel over the same wire!

I don't know about FDM, but frequency multiplexing in general is trivial ... just add two sine waves together to see what I mean. It's one wave but filters can separate out the two frequencies.

The same principle is at work as when Newton split and recombined light with a prism. Conceptually, what you do in FDM is shine a red laser, a green laser, and a blue laser into a prism such that they are combined into one white(ish) light which you feed into a fiber-optic cable. At the other end of the cable you feed the beam into a prism, which splits it into the red, green and blue beams again. Modulate the beams and hey presto! It's quite straightforward, seen that way (any actual telecoms engineers reading this will be turning purple because I'm plain ignoring a lot of very important stuff - but that's the gist of it).

I suspect what's making your head spin is thinking that a wave plus a wave is just another wave. That's true enough, but (if the component waves are different frequencies) the sum is a different shaped wave, and the precise shape depends on the frequencies of the component waves - in fact, is uniquely determined by the frequencies of the component waves. By using a mathematical technique called a Fourier Transform (or anyone of various processes that implement it, explicitly or otherwise, such as prisms, diffraction, and electronic filters) you can separate out the components and get your separate signals back.

justwild said:

Either works. It depends on the system..

A simplest example is FM radio. Each FM radio station is allocated a limited frequency band from a larger slice of the spectrum. Each is transmitted independantly.

Another example would be an analogue cable TV system. In this case the signals are combined in a multiplexer before being launched onto the cable.

..please explain how can two waves travel over the same medium

There is no problem sending many sound or radio waves through the air. Sending them down a wire is no different. Something at the receiving end has to select only the wanted channels. This would typically be a set of band pass filters.

Frequency Division Multiplexing (FDM) works by dividing the available frequency spectrum of a carrier channel into smaller frequency channels, each of which can carry a separate communication signal. This allows multiple signals to be transmitted simultaneously over the same communication medium.

In FDM, the carrier wave is modulated in such a way that it can carry multiple signals at different frequencies. Each of the smaller frequency channels is then allocated to a specific signal, which is then transmitted using its own wave over the communication medium.

To understand how two waves can travel over the same medium, it is important to first understand the concept of interference. When two waves of the same frequency are superimposed on each other, they can either amplify or cancel each other out, depending on their relative phase. In FDM, the signals are carefully selected and modulated at different frequencies to avoid interference and allow them to coexist on the same medium.

In terms of your analogy to AC current, it is important to note that FDM is not limited to electrical signals. It can also be used for other types of signals, such as radio waves or optical signals. In these cases, the signals are not actually traveling over the same wire, but rather through the same medium (e.g. air or fiber optic cable).

In conclusion, FDM allows for efficient use of the available frequency spectrum by dividing it into smaller channels for simultaneous transmission of multiple signals. These signals are carefully modulated and selected to avoid interference and allow them to coexist on the same communication medium.

Related to How Frequency Division Multiplexing works

1. What is Frequency Division Multiplexing (FDM)?

Frequency Division Multiplexing (FDM) is a technique used in telecommunications to combine multiple signals onto a single transmission medium. It works by dividing the available bandwidth into smaller frequency bands and assigning one band to each signal. This allows multiple signals to be transmitted simultaneously without interfering with each other.

2. How does FDM work?

FDM works by using a multiplexer to combine multiple signals onto a single transmission medium. The multiplexer takes each signal and divides it into smaller frequency bands, which are then combined and transmitted through the medium. At the receiving end, a demultiplexer separates the signals back into their original frequencies for decoding.

3. What are the advantages of FDM?

One of the main advantages of FDM is that it allows multiple signals to be transmitted simultaneously without interfering with each other. This makes more efficient use of the available bandwidth and reduces the need for additional transmission lines. FDM is also a relatively simple and cost-effective solution for combining multiple signals.

4. What are the limitations of FDM?

One limitation of FDM is that it requires a wide bandwidth to be effective. This can be a problem in cases where the available bandwidth is limited or expensive. FDM can also be affected by crosstalk, where signals bleed into each other and cause interference. To mitigate this, FDM systems often use filters to isolate the different frequency bands.

5. Where is FDM used?

FDM is commonly used in telecommunications, including telephone networks, cable TV, and satellite communications. It is also used in radio broadcasting, where multiple radio stations can share the same frequency band. FDM is also used in some modern communication systems, such as Wi-Fi and cellular networks, to allow for more efficient and simultaneous data transmission.

Back