How go u find the force of gravity?

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the correct calculation for the force of gravity on Earth. The equation provided by one person is questioned due to a negative result and incorrect units. The correct equation is provided, but there is confusion over the use of the negative sign. It is eventually clarified that the calculation should result in a force of approximately 147 N.
SimpleHarmonicMotion
I can't seem to get a correct # for the force of gravity on earth. I tried this:

6.673e-11(UGC) * 5.9742e24(mass of earth) * 15(mass of object) / 6378.1(radius of earth)^2

For some reason it gives me -.02867... and i no that can't be correct, what did i do wrong><?

Physics news on Phys.org
Radius of the earth

And do you want the force exerted on the object or the gravitational field strength (g)? From your working above your calculating the force exerted on an object of 15kg mass, not acceleration due to gravity ([itex] 9.81 ms^{-2} [/itex]).

Last edited:
How did you get a negative number? None of the numbers in your expression are negative, so there is no possible way to get a negative answer.. What exactly are you trying to find?

huh? I'm confused, how do i find the force of gravity? and what's the radius of the earth?

The radius of the Earth is wrong you've quoted it in km it should be in metres, the gravitation constant should be negative.

Hootenanny said:
The radius of the Earth is wrong you've quoted it in km it should be in metres, the gravitation constant should be negative.

No it shouldn't it's positive 6.67x10-11.

Im sorry, I mean there should be a negative sign infront of the equation, the eqaution is usually quoted as:
[tex] F = - \frac{GMm}{r^2} [/tex]

Hootenanny said:
Im sorry, I mean there should be a negative sign infront of the equation, the eqaution is usually quoted as:
[tex] F = - \frac{GMm}{r^2} [/tex]

Hmm... Ok I've never seen it like that, I've never seen it with the negative sign there, but I guess it really doesn't matter as long as you deal with the directions correctly in the problem.

That's how I've always used it, but yeah it's irrelevant as long as you define your cordinate system.

well, I'm getting 2.86758e-8 but does that make sense? Is this measuring in m/s or N?

SimpleHarmonicMotion said:
well, I'm getting 2.86758e-8 but does that make sense? Is this measuring in m/s or N?

Well since you're looking for the force of gravity, what do you think the units should be? And you're number is way off, if you're trying to figure out the force on a 15 kg object on the surface of the Earth using the law of gravitation it should be pretty close to 15*9.8

well, since I'm way off could u point me in the right direction and tell me what i did wrong? Also, should the units be Newtons since that is the force being applied to the object?

Looks to me as though you can't use a calculator. the only thing that was wrong with your initial working out is the distance should be in metres not km, other than that, putting numbers into your equation is your only other problem.:smile:

Its a force, what are the units of force? Do you define a force in terms of [tex] ms^{-2} [/tex]? What exactly do you think [tex] ms^{-2} [/tex] means, what do the letters actually represent?

Last edited by a moderator:
6.673e-11 * 2.9742e24 * 15
--------------------------- =
6378000.1^2

4.0679e13

5.9799e13
4.0679e13

1.47 N

Is that correct? And btw, mass of Earth is in kg, so does it matter if i put the mass of the object in kg?

You can check you answer using [itex] F = ma [/itex]. You know that the acceleration due to gravity at the Earth's surface is roughly [itex]9.8 m\cdot s^{-2}[/itex], you also know the mass of the object (15kg) and you've calculated a force so;
[tex]F = ma \Rightarrow a = \frac{F}{m} = \frac{1.47}{15} = 0.098 [/tex]
Which means your a factor of [itex]10^2[/itex] out. Check you units, you logic is fine. Yes, mass units must be consistant throughout. If the object is 15g, not 15kg, this would explain yourproblem.

Gravitational acceleration acting on a body at the earth`s surface: (6.67e-11*5.974e24 kg)/(6.4e6)^2 m= 9.73 m/s^2

9.73 m/ss*15 kg=145,95 N

I got an lower answer then 9,81 m/s, but I think it is because of some wrong values.

SimpleHarmonicMotion said:
6378000.1^2

4.0679e13

5.9799e13
4.0679e13

1.47 N

Is that correct? And btw, mass of Earth is in kg, so does it matter if i put the mass of the object in kg?

If you are using MKS units, then the mass of both the Earth and object will be in kg.

1 km = 1000m. Check your radius. I get 147 N for my answer.

-Dan

Related to How go u find the force of gravity?

1. How do you find the force of gravity?

To find the force of gravity, you can use the formula F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them. This formula can be applied to any two objects with mass, such as planets, stars, or even people.

2. What is the gravitational constant?

The gravitational constant, denoted by G, is a physical constant that appears in the formula for Newton's law of gravitation. It is approximately equal to 6.674 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2. This constant helps us calculate the force of gravity between two objects with mass.

3. Does the force of gravity only act on objects with mass?

Yes, the force of gravity only acts on objects with mass. This is because the force of gravity is a result of the mass of an object attracting other objects with mass. Objects without mass, such as photons, are not affected by the force of gravity.

4. How does distance affect the force of gravity?

According to Newton's law of gravitation, the force of gravity decreases as the distance between two objects increases. This means that the force of gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects. In other words, the farther apart two objects are, the weaker the force of gravity between them will be.

5. Can the force of gravity be negative?

No, the force of gravity cannot be negative. This is because the force of gravity is always attractive, meaning that it pulls objects towards each other. Even if two objects have opposite charges, the force of gravity will still be positive. However, the direction of the force of gravity can be negative if it is opposite to the direction of motion or force.