How he concluded that?Spivak's calculus

• Thread starter Andrax
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation discusses finding continuous functions that satisfy the equation ##\displaystyle \int_{0}^{x} f(t) \, \mathrm{d}t##= ((f(x)^2)+C. The focus is on the way the solution is presented, specifically the statement that ##f^2## is differentiable at every point with derivative f(x). It is concluded that f(x) must not equal 0 for the function to be differentiable. However, there is confusion about whether this refers to the function f(x) or the points where f(x) is equal to 0. The conversation also includes a discussion about the derivative of ##f^2## and whether it is equal to ##f(x
Andrax

Homework Statement

So the question is : Find all continious functions such that ##\displaystyle \int_{0}^{x} f(t) \, \mathrm{d}t##= ((f(x)^2)+C , what interests me is the way the solutions book presented the solution , not the solution itself .
in the solution , it starts with this , clrealy f^2 is differentiable at every point ( it's derivative at x is f(x) ) So **f is differentiable at x whenever **f(x)=/=0****? I have no idea how that can be concluded , this is from Spivak's calculus , if you diffrentiate by the ftc it's clearly f(x)=f(x)f'(x)
but he said that before even giving this formula, the differentiablity of f^2 dosen't have a relation with f(x)=/=0
EDIT : I know that f(x)=f(x)f'(x) What i don't inderstand is this 'clrealy f^2 is differentiable at every point ( it's derivative is f) So f(x)=/=0" why f(x) mustn't equal 0?

##

Homework Equations

included above

Homework Statement

Physics news on Phys.org
f(x)=0 is also a function, and solution of the problem. But there is also an other "non-trivial" solution.

ehild

ehild said:
f(x)=0 is also a function, and solution of the problem. But there is also an other "non-trivial" solution.

ehild

so when he wrotes whenever f(x)=/=0 he mean't the function f(x)=0 not the points where f(x)=0?it makes sense now

Andrax said:
so when he wrotes whenever f(x)=/=0 he mean't the function f(x)=0 not the points where f(x)=0?it makes sense now

Yes, he wants to find the solution not identically zero.

ehild

Andrax said:

Homework Statement

So the question is : Find all continious functions such that ##\displaystyle \int_{0}^{x} f(t) \, \mathrm{d}t##= ((f(x)^2)+C ,

Does that mean ##(f(x))^2## or ##f(x^2)##? I'm guessing the first.

what interests me is the way the solutions book presented the solution , not the solution itself .
in the solution , it starts with this , clrealy f^2 is differentiable at every point ( it's derivative at x is f(x) ) So **f is differentiable at x whenever **f(x)=/=0****? I have no idea how that can be concluded , this is from Spivak's calculus , if you diffrentiate by the ftc it's clearly f(x)=f(x)f'(x)
but he said that before even giving this formula, the differentiablity of f^2 dosen't have a relation with f(x)=/=0
EDIT : I know that f(x)=f(x)f'(x)

But ##f(x)f'(x)## is not the derivative of ##f^2(x)##. Am I missing something here?

Related to How he concluded that?Spivak's calculus

1. How did Spivak conclude his calculus theories?

Spivak concluded his theories in his book "Calculus" by carefully examining and explaining the fundamental concepts of calculus, including limits, derivatives, and integrals. He also presented various proofs and examples to support his conclusions.

2. What is the significance of Spivak's calculus theories?

Spivak's calculus theories are significant because they provide a rigorous and comprehensive approach to understanding and applying calculus. His work has been influential in the development of modern mathematics and has been widely used in academic and practical settings.

3. How did Spivak's calculus theories differ from previous theories?

Spivak's calculus theories differed from previous theories by placing a strong emphasis on rigor and precision. He also presented the concepts of calculus in a more intuitive and accessible manner, making it easier for readers to understand and apply them.

4. What were some major themes in Spivak's calculus theories?

Some major themes in Spivak's calculus theories include the concept of limits and how they relate to derivatives and integrals, the fundamental theorem of calculus, and the use of mathematical proofs to support his conclusions.

5. How can Spivak's calculus theories be applied in real-world situations?

Spivak's calculus theories can be applied in various real-world situations, such as in physics, economics, and engineering. They can be used to model and solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and motion. Additionally, the rigorous approach of Spivak's theories makes them useful for developing more advanced mathematical concepts and techniques.