How High Can a Roller Coaster Start Without Flying Off the Track?

In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum height hmax from which a roller coaster car can start without flying off the track when going over a hill at point C. This is a two-part problem and requires finding vmax at point C. To do so, the car must maintain contact with the track and execute circular motion. When the car is just about to lose contact, the normal force becomes 0 and only gravity is taken into account. The angle and the fact that there are two circles do not affect the solution, the key is to use what is known about centripetal acceleration to determine the net force on the car.
dekoi
A roller coaster car on the frictionless track shown, starts from rest at height h. The track is straight until point A. Between points A and D, the track consists of circle-shaped segments of radius R.

Question:

What is the maximum height hmax from which the car can start so as not to fly off the track when going over the hill at point C? Give you answer in terms of the radius R.
Hint: This is a two-part problem. First find vmax at C.

My answer:

I have tried many different methods, but cannot find the right one. The answer in the textbook tells me that hmax = 3/2R.
I know how to find hmax once I have vmax, but the problem is finding vmax in the first place.
I don't know what I'm supposed to do with the 30 degree angle. I thought of using it as the angular position, but I can't seem to continue from there to find vmax. I calculated that the angular position would be 60 degrees (90 - 30).
Does the fact that there are 2 circles have something to do with my answer? Or is that just there to confuse me?
I also tried drawing a FBD at point C. The only two forces I obtained were a normal force (up) and gravity (down). However, because it is a circle, is my normal force supposed to be pointing down also (toward the centre of the circle)? Does this have something to do with my answer also?
Please help-- I have tried many different methods but cannot seem to get the right answer.

Attachments

• rollercoaster.jpg
    rollercoaster.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 379
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider that if the car is to maintain contact with the track at point C, what kind of motion must it execute? (Hint: Is it accelerating?) How do you specify the condition for "just about to lose contact"? (Hint: What happens to the normal force?) Apply Newton's 2nd law to the car at point C. (What's the net force on the car?)

I do not know what the net force is on the car. That's what I was trying to figure out with the free-body diagram. I'm assuming the net force is toward the centre of the circle since the car is undergoing circular motion at point C.

If the car is to maintain contact with the track at point C, it must execute circular motion which means it's accelerating toward the centre of the circle. Right?

I don't know what happens to the normal force when the car is just about to lose contact. Can you help?

dekoi said:
I do not know what the net force is on the car. That's what I was trying to figure out with the free-body diagram. I'm assuming the net force is toward the centre of the circle since the car is undergoing circular motion at point C.
Right.
If the car is to maintain contact with the track at point C, it must execute circular motion which means it's accelerating toward the centre of the circle. Right?
Exactly! This is key: use what you know about centripetal acceleration.
I don't know what happens to the normal force when the car is just about to lose contact.
Here's a hint: What happens to the normal force when there is no contact?

When there is no contact, the normal force is 0, so only gravity is taken into account. I'm assuming this is what I have to use in order to find the acceleration? And just for some clarification before I attempt this problem again: Does the angle have anything to do with my answer? Or even that fact that there are two circles...

dekoi said:
When there is no contact, the normal force is 0, so only gravity is taken into account.
Right. That's what you need to find the net force.
And just for some clarification before I attempt this problem again: Does the angle have anything to do with my answer? Or even that fact that there are two circles...
All that matters is that point C is on the top of a circle. Use that fact to determine the acceleration at point C.

Thank you.

I will attempt the problem and post again if I don't get the correct answer.

Related to How High Can a Roller Coaster Start Without Flying Off the Track?

1. What is the relationship between energy and circular motion?

Energy and circular motion are closely related as circular motion requires energy to maintain its constant speed and direction. This energy can be in the form of kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion, or potential energy, which is the energy associated with an object's position in a system. In circular motion, this energy is constantly being exchanged between kinetic and potential energy as the object moves around in a circular path.

2. How does centripetal force affect circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In circular motion, the direction of the object's velocity is constantly changing, which means there must be a force acting towards the center of the circle to keep it on its path. This force is called the centripetal force and it is directly proportional to the mass of the object, the speed of the object, and the radius of the circular path.

3. What is the difference between centripetal and centrifugal force?

Centripetal and centrifugal force are often confused, but they are actually two different concepts. Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is an apparent force that seems to push an object away from the center of the circle. Centrifugal force is actually just the result of an object's inertia, which causes it to continue moving in a straight line even when it is in circular motion.

4. How does energy conservation apply to circular motion?

Energy conservation is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. In circular motion, energy is constantly being exchanged between kinetic and potential energy, but the total amount of energy remains constant. This means that the initial energy of the system will be equal to the final energy, and energy conservation can be used to calculate the speed, radius, or mass of an object in circular motion.

5. Can an object in circular motion have a constant speed and still accelerate?

Yes, an object in circular motion can have a constant speed and still accelerate. This is because acceleration is not only determined by the speed of an object, but also by its direction. In circular motion, the object's direction is constantly changing, which means it is accelerating even if its speed remains constant. This acceleration is caused by the centripetal force, which is always acting towards the center of the circle and constantly changing the object's direction of motion.