How high can a salmon jump above the water if it swims at 5m/s?

• Thread starter jOANIE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the question is asking for the maximum height a salmon can jump above the water if it swims straight upward at a speed of 5m/s. The suggested solution is to use the energy principle and set up an equation system using kinetic energy and potential energy at the salmon's highest point.
jOANIE

Homework Statement

If a salmon swims straight upward in the water fast enough to break through the surface at a speed of 5m/s, how high can it jump above the water?

Homework Equations

I am not sure which equation to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

0 + 5/2 = 2.5m ??

Is this correct? If not, which equation do I have to use?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would use the energy principle. When it breaks through the water it has only kinetic energy E=1/2*mv2. At it's highest point it has only potential energy E=mgh (where h is the height, I'm not really sure if h is used worldwide or if it's just here in Finland). This gives you an equation system.

Welcome to PF!

Hi mkerikss! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Yes, I think h is height everywhere that has an h. :biggrin:

Related to How high can a salmon jump above the water if it swims at 5m/s?

1. What is the formula for speed and distance problems?

The formula for speed and distance problems is speed = distance / time. This formula can be used to calculate the speed of an object when the distance and time it traveled are known.

2. How do you convert units in speed and distance problems?

To convert units in speed and distance problems, you can use unit conversion factors. For example, to convert kilometers to miles, you can multiply the distance in kilometers by 0.6214 to get the distance in miles.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed and velocity are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings. Speed is the measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is the measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction.

4. How do you solve for time in a speed and distance problem?

To solve for time in a speed and distance problem, you can rearrange the formula to time = distance / speed. This will give you the time it takes for an object to travel a certain distance at a given speed.

5. Can you have negative speed or distance in a problem?

In most cases, speed and distance cannot be negative in a problem. However, in some cases, if the object is moving in the opposite direction, the speed or distance can be represented as negative. It is important to pay attention to the direction of the object's movement when solving speed and distance problems.