How High Did the Catapult Launch the Block on Mars?

• Thread starter pqnd1987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, a group of workers built a catapult and launched a pyramid block with a density of 2400 kg/m^3 at a velocity of 20 m/s. With no air resistance and a gravity of 9.90 m/s^2 on Mars, the block reached the same elevation as it was launched from. To find the height it flew, the time it took to fall needs to be calculated using the velocity equation and then the distance traveled can be found.
pqnd1987
Hi I was wondering if anyone had any clue on this question

While sitting around waiting for interior decorators to finish up in the scroll repository, a bunch of bored and mischievous workers decided that they'd build a catapult. When they finally finished, it was able to shoot a projectile straight up into the air. So. in a move which they later regretted, they decided to launch one of the pyramid blocks, which had a density of 2400 kilograms per cubic meter.

When the block crashed back into the catapult, smashing it to pieces, it was determined to have a velocity of 20 meters per second. Assuming that gravity on Mars is exactly 9.90 meters per second squared, the block hit the catapult at the same elevation as it was launched from the catapult, and there was, miraculously, no air resistance acting on the block, how high, in centimeters, did the block fly above the catapult? Please round to the nearest centimeter.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, please post homework questions in the appropriate (sub)forum, not in here.

Second, what are your ideas to get things moving?

Daniel.

This looks like a homework question. You somehow missed this notice
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=88596

Not a homework question. Looks like someone is trying to cheat at Lenny Conundrum.

In any case, they give you the acceleration. You need to first find the time it takes the object to fall by using the velocity equation. Then you can find the distance traveled. I won't do it for you because I want the points. :wink:

Last edited:

Related to How High Did the Catapult Launch the Block on Mars?

1. How do I calculate velocity?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's displacement by the time it takes for that change to occur. This can be represented by the formula: V = Δd/Δt where V is velocity, Δd is the change in displacement, and Δt is the change in time.

2. What units are used to express velocity?

Velocity is typically expressed in meters per second (m/s) in the metric system and feet per second (ft/s) in the imperial system. However, other units such as kilometers per hour (km/h) or miles per hour (mph) may also be used.

3. How is velocity different from speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they have different definitions in physics. While speed is the rate at which an object is moving, velocity takes into account the direction of the object's motion. In other words, velocity is a vector quantity while speed is a scalar quantity.

4. What is average velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time it took for that displacement to occur. It is often calculated by finding the slope of a line connecting two points on a position-time graph.

5. How do I solve a velocity problem with multiple variables?

To solve a velocity problem with multiple variables, you may need to use the appropriate formula that relates the variables given in the problem. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem to determine which formula to use. You may also need to use algebraic manipulation to solve for the unknown variable.