How high does a ball rise when released from the bottom of a pool?

• Thread starter cjwest0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, this conversation revolves around a physics problem involving a hollow ball being dropped into a pool of water and calculating how high it rises. The problem involves principles studied by Bernoulli and Archimedes. The key equations used are Bernoulli's equation and the equation for density. The conversation discusses using either kinematics or energy methods to solve the problem and clarifies that the shape of the displaced water is spherical, not cylindrical. The final solution involves setting the initial kinetic energy equal to the potential energy at the top of the motion to find the height.
cjwest0
Hello people, first of all thanks to all who reads this and attempts this problem or more or less helps me see the underlying principles. A little background...i am a first semester 23 yr. old summer school physics student who has an exam tomorrow, monday night. The exam covers buoyancy, fluids, density& pressure and rotational kinetic energy. Good stuff i know...here is a problem from an old exam last semester. It reads exactly...

A 1.0 kg hollow ball of radius .10 m, filled with air, is released from rest at the bottom of a 2.0 m deep pool of water. How high above the surface of the water does the ball rise? Neglect all frictional effects and the changing force on the ball when it is partially submerged. Volume of a sphere = 4/3 pi r^3; rho_air (denisty of air) = 1.29 kg/m^3; rho_water (density of water) = 1000 kg/m^3.

I am on a time crunch this morning so i'll try to condense as much as I know about this problem as I can with the time constraints i am on and will come back around 5 and read what people have to say. I really want to understand what actually is happening, because that is where physics is difficult for me.

This problem is an application to what Bernouli and Archimede's studied. I believe the height value I'm looking for is located in the gravitational potential energy term of Bernouli's equation, rho*g*y (rho = density). The velocity terms in the equation drop out because the ball starts from rest and finishes at rest. If anything I'm saying is incorrect or if my thinking is skewd, please let me know.

Thanks...i got to go work a few hours then i'll be back :)
peace.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone have any input on this problem?

You know the density of water so you know the mass of the water the sphere displaces. That, presumably, is less than the actual mass of the sphere so that the sphere WILL go up. The upward (bouyancy) force is mg where m is mass of water displaced - mass of sphere. Using that, you can calculate the upward speed of the sphere when it reaches the surface of the water. After that, gravity takes over. Using the speed at the surface of the water as "initial speed" you can calculate the kinetic energy (taking potential energy to be 0) and calculate the maximum height the sphere will reach (where all the kinetic energy has been converted to potential energy)

Ok, i see that rho=m/V. Now when i use the Volume of water displaced to find the mass of the water displaced, do i find volume using the equation of a cylinder or of a sphere? Because the shape of the displaced water is cylindrical, however, the object is a hollow spherical object so I'm not sure which volume equation to use to calculate the masses. I didn't think about using Energy to calculate the height when the ball comes out. I knew that the ball would be in static equilibrium, thus the bouyant force and the weight of water displaced by the object would be equal, but i could not get a way to calculate the height above the water.

Thanks for your help...could you explain the way to calculate the masses if the way i thought to calculate them using density and volume was wrong, how do you get the masses?

cjwest0 said:
Ok, i see that rho=m/V. Now when i use the Volume of water displaced to find the mass of the water displaced, do i find volume using the equation of a cylinder or of a sphere? Because the shape of the displaced water is cylindrical, however, the object is a hollow spherical object so I'm not sure which volume equation to use to calculate the masses.
Where did you get the idea that the shape of the displaced water is cylindrical? The ball is sphere, thus it displaces a spherical volume of water.
I didn't think about using Energy to calculate the height when the ball comes out. I knew that the ball would be in static equilibrium, thus the bouyant force and the weight of water displaced by the object would be equal, but i could not get a way to calculate the height above the water.
What makes you think that the submerged ball is in static equilibrium? If it were, then it would just sit there, not shoot out of the water and rise in the air.

When the ball is submerged there are two forces acting on it: its weight (down) and the buoyant force (up). Find the net force (which will be up) and then the resulting acceleration of the ball (from Newton's 2nd law). Use kinematics of accelerated motion to find what the final speed will be when the ball reaches the surface. Once the ball leaves the water with the speed just calculated, then it's just an ordinary projectile. Find how far it rises, given the acceleration is -g.

If you wish to use energy methods (which is what I would do) it's even easier:
Under the water you have the net force on the ball; let's call that F. That force acts over a distance D (2 m in this case) and thus does work on the ball giving it some KE as it leaves the water: KE = FD. To find out how high the ball rises in the air, set that initial KE to the PE at the top of the motion: KE = FD = mgH. Now solve for H.

Related to How high does a ball rise when released from the bottom of a pool?

1. What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is partially or fully immersed in it. It is a result of the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object, with the greater pressure at the bottom pushing the object upwards.

2. How is buoyancy related to density?

Buoyancy is directly related to the density of the fluid and the object. If the object is less dense than the fluid, it will float and experience an upward buoyant force. If the object is more dense than the fluid, it will sink and experience a downward buoyant force.

3. What is Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This means that the more fluid an object displaces, the greater the buoyant force will be.

4. How does the shape of an object affect its buoyancy?

The shape of an object can affect its buoyancy in two ways. Firstly, a larger surface area will displace more fluid and lead to a greater buoyant force. Secondly, the shape can also affect the weight of the object, which in turn affects the buoyant force. For example, a hollow object will be less dense and experience a greater buoyant force compared to a solid object of the same size.

5. Can an object be buoyant in air?

No, an object cannot be buoyant in air because air is a gas and does not exert the same upward force as a liquid or a solid. However, objects can appear to be buoyant in air if they are supported by a force, such as an air current or a helium balloon.