How high does a rocket go with a constant acceleration of 25m/s^2?

In summary, a rocket is launched with a constant acceleration of 25m/s^2 and travels for 20 seconds before the engine shuts off. Using the equations v^2 = v_0^2 + 2 a \Delta x and x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2, the rocket reaches a distance of 5000m and a velocity of 500m/s. After the engine shuts off, the rocket continues to travel and reaches a final distance of 17.742km, which can be rounded up to 18km.
lolbits

Homework Statement

A rocket is sent straight up in the air from the ground. It travels with a constant acceleration of [tex]25m/s^2[/tex]. It will have a constant acceleration as long as the engine gets fuel. After 20 seconds, the engine suddenly shuts off. Calculate how high the rocket will get. (No air friction).

Homework Equations

[tex]
v^2 = v_0^2 + 2 a \Delta x
[/tex]
[tex]
x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I first drew a picture of the situation. Then, I calculated the distance traveled with engine power.

Gives me:
d(after 20s)=(1/2)*25*20^2 = 5000 m.
Velocity at 20 s = sqrt(2*a*d) = 500 m/s.

d(after no engine power) = (v^2=(v_0)^2+2ad)
Want to solve for d, so I rearrange and get: (v^2-(v_0)^2)/(2*(-9.81)
I get that d=12742m.
12742m + 5000m = 17742m = 17.742km.

The book says that the answer should be 18 km.
Have I done anything wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. You are right. But check the significant numbers.

you are right just round up

FAQ: How high does a rocket go with a constant acceleration of 25m/s^2?

1. What is the difference between speed and acceleration?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's speed is changing. In other words, acceleration is the rate of change of an object's speed.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it takes for that change to occur. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

3. What is the difference between positive and negative acceleration?

Positive acceleration occurs when an object's speed is increasing, while negative acceleration (also known as deceleration) occurs when an object's speed is decreasing. Both types of acceleration involve a change in an object's velocity over time.

4. How does mass affect acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the larger an object's mass, the more force is needed to accelerate it at the same rate.

5. Can an object have a constant speed but changing acceleration?

Yes, an object can have a constant speed but changing acceleration. This can occur if the direction of the object's motion is changing, even if its speed remains the same. For example, a car moving at a constant speed around a curve will experience a changing acceleration due to the changing direction of its motion.

Back