How High Does the Block Go on the Ramp?

In summary, a block of mass 5.00 kg is given an initial velocity of 8.0 m/s and travels 5.0 m over a rough surface with μ_{k} = 0.250 before sliding up a frictionless ramp at a 30° angle. The final height of the block can be calculated using the equations W = FΔs, F_{k} = μ_{k} N, Δk = 1/2 m v_{f}^{2} - 1/2 m v_{i}^{2}, and v = √2gh. The final height is approximately 2.01 m. The angle of the ramp is not needed for this solution as
kushlar

Homework Statement

A block of mass 5.00 kg is given an initial velocity of 8.0 m/s. It travels 5.0 m over a rough surface with μ[itex]_{k}[/itex] = 0.250. It then slides up a ramp that rises at a 30° angle above the horizontal. How high does it go before coming to rest

Homework Equations

W = FΔs
F[itex]_{k}[/itex] = μ[itex]_{k}[/itex] N
Δk = 1/2 m v[itex]_{f}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex] - 1/2 m v[itex]_{i}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]
v = √2gh

The Attempt at a Solution

W = μ[itex]_{k}[/itex] Δs = (0.25)(5)(9.8)(5) = 61.25 J

-61.25 = Δk
-61.25 = 1/2 m v[itex]_{f}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex] - 1/2 m v[itex]_{i}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]
-61.25 = 2.5 v[itex]_{f}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex] - (0.5)(5)(8[itex]^{2}[/itex]
v[itex]_{f}[/itex] = √((-61.25+160)/2.5)

v = √2gh
h = v[itex]^{2}[/itex]/2gh
h = 6.28[itex]^{2}[/itex]/(2)(9.8)
h = 2.01m

Is this the right way to answer this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
is the ramp frictionless or is it also a rough surface? It looks like you assumed that it is frictionless, but I guess it makes sense to do that since it doesn't specify that in the problem.

But yes, assuming the ramp is frictionless, it looks like you did it right.

I believe the ramp is frictionless but the one thing that bothers me about my solution is the lack of the 30° angle in my calculations.

yeah that would be a piece of extraneous information for this problem

since you are using conservation of energy, the path that the object takes doesn't matter, only the initial and final states

I would say that your solution appears to be correct. You have correctly used the equations for work, kinetic friction, and change in kinetic energy to determine the block's final velocity after sliding on the rough surface. Then, you have used the equation for potential energy to calculate the height that the block will reach on the ramp before coming to rest. Your calculations and reasoning seem sound and logical. However, without knowing the specific context or purpose of this problem, it is difficult to say for certain if this is the "right" way to answer it. There may be other factors or variables that need to be considered, or different approaches that could also yield a correct solution. As a scientist, it is important to always question and critically evaluate our methods and results, and to be open to different perspectives and solutions.

Related to How High Does the Block Go on the Ramp?

1. What is work?

Work is the measure of the energy transferred when a force is applied to an object and causes it to move a certain distance in the direction of the force.

2. How is work calculated?

Work is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The unit for work is the Joule (J).

3. What is the relationship between work and energy?

Work and energy are closely related, with work being defined as the transfer of energy. When work is done on an object, energy is transferred to that object, either causing it to gain or lose energy.

4. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state. Both types of energy are measured in Joules (J).

5. How can work and energy be conserved in a system?

In a closed system, the total amount of work and energy remains constant. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. This principle is known as the Law of Conservation of Energy.