How high is a spaceship after accelerating to 340 km/h in 1.1 minutes?

In summary, a spaceship lifts off vertically with constant acceleration and reaches a speed of 340 km/h in 1.1 minutes. Using the equation xf = xi + v*t + 1/2*a*t^2, where xf is the final altitude, xi is the initial altitude, v is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration, the spaceship's altitude at t = 66 seconds is 9347.58 meters. However, due to the fact that the initial velocity is zero, the correct answer is half of that, 4673.79 meters.
Manh

Homework Statement

A spaceship lifts off vertically with constant acceleration and reaches a speed of 340 km/hin 1.1 min .
What is the ship's altitude at t = 66 s ?
Express your answer to two significant digits and include the appropriate units.

Homework Equations

xf = xi + v*delta t

The Attempt at a Solution

6233.04 m

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show us your work.

Chet

You need to find the acceletion of the spaceship,after this put this data in equzion that describe his state according the time including acceleration parameter,
Can you find this equzion? :wink:

I convert 340 km/h to 94.44 m/s and 1.1 min to 66 s.
I plug the known data to the equation:
xf = 0 + (94.44)(66)
xf = 6233.04 m

Manh said:
xf = 0 + (94.44)(66)
xf = 6233.04 m
You plugged in the final velocity, but was it traveling with that velocity the whole time? What was the average velocity, given the acceleration was constant?

Chet

Manh said:

Homework Statement

A spaceship lifts off vertically with constant acceleration and reaches a speed of 340 km/hin 1.1 min .
What is the ship's altitude at t = 66 s ?
Express your answer to two significant digits and include the appropriate units.

Homework Equations

xf = xi + v*delta t

The Attempt at a Solution

6233.04 m
Manh said:
xf = 0 + (94.44)(66)
xf = 6233.04 m
This equation doesn't describe the body in acceleration...

DaniV said:
You need to find the acceletion of the spaceship,after this put this data in equzion that describe his state according the time including acceleration parameter,
Can you find this equzion?
a = 94.44/66 = 1.43 m/s^2
xf = xi + vi*t + 1/2at^2
xf = 0 + (94.44)(66) +1/2(1.43)(66)^2
xf = 9347.58 m

Manh said:
xf = xi + vi*t + 1/2at^2
xf = 9347.58 m
Thats right! :oldbiggrin:

So to express the answer in two sig figs, it should be 9.3 x 10^3 m?

DaniV said:
Thats right! :oldbiggrin:
I submit the answer but it is still incorrect according to Mastering Physics

Manh said:
xf = xi + vi*t + 1/2at^2
xf = 9347.58 m
This is incorrect. The initial velocity is zero. Only the 3rd term should be in there. Alternately, the average speed is (94.44)/2 = 47.22 m/sec, so the distance should be half your original answer 6233/2 = 3117 m. Either way, you will get the same answer.

Chet

I would check my answer again. Thanks!

The initial velocity is zero due to the fact that it say to us that spaceship accelerate from zero to 340 km/h

Related to How high is a spaceship after accelerating to 340 km/h in 1.1 minutes?

1. What is altitude in time?

Altitude in time refers to the change in a location's elevation over a period of time. It can be measured in various units such as feet, meters, or miles.

2. How is altitude in time calculated?

Altitude in time is calculated by subtracting the initial altitude from the final altitude and dividing it by the time elapsed. This gives the average rate of change in altitude over a specific period.

3. Why is altitude in time important to study?

Altitude in time is important to study because it can affect various aspects of our lives, such as weather patterns, air pressure, and even our physical health. Understanding changes in altitude over time can also help predict potential natural disasters.

4. How does altitude in time vary across different locations?

Altitude in time can vary greatly across different locations, depending on factors such as geographic location, topography, and climate. For example, a coastal city may experience minimal changes in altitude over time compared to a mountainous region.

5. What tools are used to measure altitude in time?

There are various tools used to measure altitude in time, including altimeters, GPS systems, and satellite imagery. These tools can provide accurate and precise data on changes in altitude over time in a specific location.