How high is the cliff and speed of arrow?

• Thread starter Medgirl314
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, an arrow is fired horizontally from a cliff with an initial speed of 280 ft/s. The arrow lands 400 feet from the base of the cliff and the cliff is 20 ft tall.
Medgirl314

Homework Statement

An arrow is fired horizontally off a cliff. The initial speed of the arrow is 280 ft/s and the arrow lands 400 feet from the base of the cliff. How high is the cliff?

Homework Equations

t=x/v
y=1/2(a)(t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the horizontal component first.

xinitial=400
a=0
vinital=280 ft/s
x=vt
t=x/v
t=400/280
t=1.43 s

Vertical:
t=1.43 s
a=9.8 m/s^2
y0=0
y=?

y=1/2(a)(t^2)
y=1/2(9.8)(1.43)^2
y=9.8(2.04)^2

y=20 ft tall.

Is this correct? If so, why didn't I have to half my answer?

Thanks in advance! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Your algebra is a little fuzzy when you are calculating y. Numbers seem to appear and disappear without reason.

Also, the problem distances are given in feet, and you are using g = 9.8 m/s^2. I hope you realize that feet and meters can't be used interchangeably.

I'm not sure what you mean by "numbers". Would you mind elaborating which ones? Part of it may have been done mentally.
Yes, I realize that feet and meters can't be used interchangeably, I just got used to using meters and forgot to convert. However, is converting essential for this problem? I don't see a step where the units clash, but I could just be looking over one. It looks like I have feet with feet and meters with meters throughout the problem, but again, I could be wrong. Same for the other problem. Are my answers incorrect, or were you just pointing out areas where you thought I may be unclear? Thanks again!

Medgirl314 said:

Homework Statement

An arrow is fired horizontally off a cliff. The initial speed of the arrow is 280 ft/s and the arrow lands 400 feet from the base of the cliff. How high is the cliff?

Homework Equations

t=x/v
y=1/2(a)(t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the horizontal component first.

xinitial=400
a=0
vinital=280 ft/s
x=vt
t=x/v
t=400/280
t=1.43 s

Vertical:
t=1.43 s
a=9.8 m/s^2
y0=0
y=?

y=1/2(a)(t^2)
y=1/2(9.8)(1.43)^2
y=9.8(2.04)^2

y=20 ft tall.

Is this correct? If so, why didn't I have to half my answer?

Thanks in advance! :smile:

Specifically:

y=1/2(a)(t^2)
y=1/2(9.8)(1.43)^2 - I understand this, since you have previously solved for t

But a = 9.8 m/s^2, and if you multiply 9.8 m/s^2 by time squared, your remaining units will be meters, not feet.

y=9.8(2.04)^2 - where does 2.04 come from? What happened to the (1/2) and t = 1.43 s?

y=20 ft tall. - Again, how did you arrive at this answer from the previous step?

Ah, I see. Okay, the 2.04 came from squaring the 1.43. I just left the ^2 on, oops. I multiplied the 9.8 by the 2.04 to get 19.992, and rounded to 20. The units should have been meters. Do I half the answer? I thought so, but in an example problem my teacher did similar to this, he didn't half the answer, so I thought I may have been missing something cancel out.

Thanks again!

You cannot just dump the 1/2 ...it is part of the equation. Also, please determine the height of the cliff in feet! You may use g = 32.2. ft/sec^2.

Medgirl314,
In your earlier thread,Please read the posts on why you can't use feet and meters interchangeably.

PhantomJay, I didn't think I could just dump the 1/2, but in a previous problem, it seemed that my teacher did, so I thought maybe it canceled out somewhere. I see it doesn't now, so I can fix the problem. Adjacent, I know you can't use feet and meters interchangeably, but I just forgot for these problems and was trying to find where the units imposed a problem. I see where now, so I'll come back to this problem after we finish the other one.

Thanks! :smile:

Is the answer 32.9 ft. ?

Medgirl314 said:
Is the answer 32.9 ft. ?
Right :smile:

Thanks! :D I should probably round to 33 ft for this problem. Thanks again!

Related to How high is the cliff and speed of arrow?

1. What is the formula for calculating the height of a cliff?

The formula for calculating the height of a cliff is h = (v^2 * sin^2θ)/(2g), where h is the height of the cliff, v is the initial velocity of the arrow, θ is the angle of elevation, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How do you measure the height of a cliff?

The height of a cliff can be measured using a variety of methods such as using a measuring tape, using a laser rangefinder, or using trigonometry and a clinometer to calculate the angle of elevation.

3. What factors affect the speed of an arrow when shot off a cliff?

The speed of an arrow when shot off a cliff is affected by factors such as the initial velocity of the arrow, air resistance, the angle of elevation, and the height of the cliff.

4. How does the speed of the arrow change as it falls from the cliff?

The speed of the arrow increases as it falls from the cliff due to the acceleration of gravity. However, this increase in speed may be limited by factors such as air resistance and the angle of elevation.

5. Can the height of a cliff be determined by the speed of an arrow shot off it?

Yes, the height of a cliff can be determined by using the formula h = (v^2 * sin^2θ)/(2g), where v is the initial velocity of the arrow and θ is the angle of elevation. By measuring the speed of the arrow and the angle of elevation, the height of the cliff can be calculated.