How High Must Energy Costs Climb Before Sustainable Sources Become Viable?

• News
  • Thread starter edpell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses the rising cost of energy resources for society and the potential for sustainable sources to become cheaper at a cost of $100 per GJ. The speaker also mentions the importance of considering the cost of what energy is needed for, such as transportation and heating. The conversation also touches on the ratio of oil production and the impact of technology on it.
edpell
Is the cost of energy resources for society raising? How high does it have to go to support a switch over to sustainable sources?

There are of course several energy sources we could talk in terms of $ per GJ to normalize them. Gasoline is now at about $29 per GJ. I am making a educated guess that at $100 per GJ sustainables will be cheaper. I would like to hear the communities thoughts.

Physics news on Phys.org
When researching this I believe it will be more useful to price the cost of that for which energy is needed. That is, people don't want gigajoules per se, they want to travel a mile, take a hot shower, heat their dwelling.

edpell said:
Is the cost of energy resources for society raising? How high does it have to go to support a switch over to sustainable sources?

There are of course several energy sources we could talk in terms of $ per GJ to normalize them. Gasoline is now at about $29 per GJ. I am making a educated guess that at $100 per GJ sustainables will be cheaper. I would like to hear the communities thoughts.

Yes the cost of energy is rising, but I think its better understood from a perspective of a ratio. How much oil does one have to put into a well to get a volume of oil out. At one time, the ratio was pretty high. I don't remember the number, but it was something like 1 barrel of oil in for like 75 out. Today its more like 1 barrel of oil in for 7 barrels out.

FAQ: How High Must Energy Costs Climb Before Sustainable Sources Become Viable?

1. Is the cost of energy constantly increasing?

The cost of energy can fluctuate over time due to various factors such as supply and demand, geopolitical events, and technological advancements. However, in general, the cost of energy has been steadily increasing over the years due to the depletion of non-renewable resources and the shift towards cleaner and more sustainable energy sources.

2. What are the main factors that contribute to the cost of energy?

The cost of energy is influenced by a variety of factors, including the cost of extracting and producing energy sources, transportation and distribution costs, government policies and taxes, and market forces such as supply and demand. Environmental regulations and investments in renewable energy also play a role in the cost of energy.

3. How does the cost of energy impact the economy?

The cost of energy can have a significant impact on the economy as it affects the prices of goods and services, transportation costs, and the overall cost of living. Higher energy costs can also lead to inflation and impact businesses, particularly those that rely heavily on energy, such as manufacturing and transportation industries.

4. Will the cost of energy ever decrease?

While it is possible for the cost of energy to decrease, it largely depends on various factors such as advancements in technology, changes in government policies, and market forces. For example, the cost of renewable energy sources such as solar and wind power has been decreasing in recent years, making them more competitive with traditional energy sources.

5. What are some ways to reduce the cost of energy?

There are several ways to reduce the cost of energy, including investing in energy-efficient technologies, using renewable energy sources, and implementing policies and incentives that promote energy conservation. Individuals can also reduce their energy costs by making small changes in their daily habits, such as turning off lights and unplugging electronics when not in use.