How High Must Muons Travel to Reach Earth's Surface?

In summary, a burst of muons produced by a cosmic ray in the upper atmosphere travels towards Earth's surface at an average speed of 0.99c. With a mean lifetime of 2.2 x 10^-6 seconds, the height of the burst can be estimated by using the formula A = Ao e^-lambda t and calculating the distance using speed and time. However, it is important to note that the mean lifetime should be calculated as 1/lambda, as shown by the probability distribution formula.
bon

Homework Statement

a burst of muons is produced by a cosmic ray interacting in the upper atmosphere. They travel towards the Earth's surface with an average speed of 0.99c. If 1% survive to reach ground level, estimate the height of the burst.

muon mean lifetime is 2.2 x 10^-6 s

The Attempt at a Solution

well i guess the mean lifetime is given in the muon frame..

therefore mean lifetime in labf = 2.2 x 10^-6 x 1/lorentz factor

then i continue, using A = Ao e^-lambda t

where lambda = ln2/T(1/2)

where T(1/2) is the half life, i.e. half of the mean lifetime i calculated above..

then when i found the time, i just used dist = speed x time where speed = 0.99c to calculate the distance..but it didnt come up with the right answer..

where am i going wrong?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think mean lifetime is [tex] 1/\lambda [/tex]

You can check by calculating the mean from the probability distribution,

[tex] \langle t \rangle = \int_0^{\infty} t e^{-\lambda t} dt [/tex]

clamtrox said:
I think mean lifetime is [tex] 1/\lambda [/tex]

You can check by calculating the mean from the probability distribution,

[tex] \langle t \rangle = \int_0^{\infty} t e^{-\lambda t} dt [/tex]

Great! Thanks

Related to How High Must Muons Travel to Reach Earth's Surface?

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein that describes how objects move in the universe. It explains how space and time are related and how they are affected by the speed of an object.

2. What are muons?

Muons are subatomic particles that are similar to electrons but are much heavier. They are created when cosmic rays from outer space collide with particles in Earth's atmosphere.

3. How are muons related to special relativity?

Special relativity predicts that objects traveling at high speeds experience time dilation, meaning that time moves slower for the object compared to a stationary observer. Muons, being created at high speeds in the atmosphere, have a longer lifespan due to time dilation and can reach the Earth's surface before decaying.

4. Why are muons important in studying special relativity?

Muons provide direct evidence for the time dilation effects predicted by special relativity. By measuring the number of muons that reach the Earth's surface, scientists can confirm the validity of the theory and its predictions.

5. Can special relativity and muons be applied in everyday life?

While special relativity and muons are important theories in the field of physics, their effects are only noticeable at extremely high speeds or in extreme conditions. Therefore, they do not have direct applications in everyday life but are crucial in understanding the fundamental laws of the universe.