How High Must the Brass Ball Start to Complete the Loop-the-Loop?

In summary, the ball will leave the track at the top if its velocity is greater than the rotational inertia.
labgoggles
Hi everyone, I've been working on this problem for a while now, and I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction. Here goes:

1. Homework Statement

A solid brass ball of mass 0.280 g will roll smoothly along a loop-the-loop track when released from rest along the straight section. The circular loop has radius R= 14.0, and the ball has radius r <<R. (a) What is h if the ball is on the verge of leaving the track when it reaches the top of the loop?

I don't have units of R, but I think it's in cm.

Homework Equations

At the top of the loop, FN + mg = ma
Fc = mv2 / R where R is radius of the track

Ui + Ki = Uf + Kf

The Attempt at a Solution

First, using FN + mg = ma, I know ma is (mv2)/R, and (mv2)/R = mg if the ball is going to fall at the top, from (mv2)/R - mg = FN.

I plug in R = .14m, m= .280 X 10-3g, and g to get v2 = 1.37 m/s. I think it's correct up to here...

However, in Ui + Ki = Uf + Kf, initial U = mgh, final U =mg(2R) because the ball is at the top of the loop, initial K = 0, but final K = 1/2mv2. When I plug everything in and m cancels out,

gh = 1/2v2 + g(2R)

(9.8m/s2) = 1/2(1.37m2/s2) + (9.8m/s2)(2 X .14 m)

and h = .350 m or 35.0 cm. My answer is close to the book's, which gives h = 37.8 cm, but I think I am missing something. Do I need to include rotational inertia, (1/2)Iω2 as part of K final? If I did, it looks like I would need to find I and omega, and I need the radius of the ball to do that (not given). I only have its mass and calculated velocity. Please let me know if I need to give more information and clarify, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
labgoggles said:
Do I need to include rotational inertia, (1/2)Iω2 as part of K final? If I did, it looks like I would need to find I and omega, and I need the radius of the ball to do that (not given). I only have its mass and calculated velocity.
Yes, that's the error.
You don't need to know r. Put it in as an unknown and it will cancel out. For a rolling uniform ball, there is a constant fraction of its KE that is in the rotation. Relate omega to linear speed in the usual way.

Thank you so much! I was able to work it out.

Related to How High Must the Brass Ball Start to Complete the Loop-the-Loop?

1. What is rolling?

Rolling is a form of motion where an object moves along a surface without slipping or sliding. It involves a combination of rotation and translation.

2. What is a force?

A force is a push or pull that causes an object to accelerate or change its motion. It is typically measured in Newtons (N) and can be represented by vectors.

3. How does rolling differ from sliding?

Rolling involves both rotational and translational motion, while sliding only involves translational motion. This means that when an object is rolling, there is both rolling friction and static friction present, whereas there is only sliding friction present when an object is sliding.

4. What factors affect the rolling resistance of an object?

The rolling resistance of an object is affected by its mass, shape, and the surface it is rolling on. It is also affected by the force applied to the object and the presence of any external forces such as air resistance or friction.

5. What is a loop and how does it relate to rolling and forces?

A loop is a curved path that an object moves along, typically in a circular motion. In relation to rolling and forces, an object must have enough force and speed to maintain its motion through a loop without slipping or falling. This requires a careful balance between the rotational and translational forces acting on the object.