How Is a Nonlinear Oscillator Equivalent to a System of First-Order Equations?

In summary, the nonlinear oscillator $$y" + f(y) =0$$ is equivalent to the system $$y'= -z,~z'= f(y)$$ and the solutions of the system lie on the family of curves $$2F(y)+ z^2 = constant$$ where $$F_y= f(y)$$. If $$f(y)=y$$, the curves are circles. However, there were some errors in the proof of the last part. A correction is provided below:If $$f(y)=y$$, then the differential equation becomes $$y'' + y =0$$, which can be written as $$y=A \cos x + B \sin x$$ and $$z=-y'= -A \sin x
wel
Gold Member
Show that the nonlinear oscillator $$y" + f(y) =0$$ is equivalent to the system
$$y'= -z $$,
$$z'= f(y)$$
and that the solutions of the system lie on the family of curves
$$2F(y)+ z^2 = constant $$
where $$F_y= f(y)$$. verify that if $$f(y)=y$$ the curves are circle.

=>
nonlinear oscillator $$y" + f(y) =0$$

where
$$y'= -z $$,
$$z'= f(y)$$

so that means
$$z''+z =0$$for the solution of the system lie on the family of curves, i was thinking

$$\frac{d}{dt}[2F(y(t))+z^2(t)]= 2F \frac{dy}{dt} + 2z \frac{dz}{dt}$$

$$=-2Fz +2zf(y)$$

$$=-2f(y)z+2zf(y)$$

$$\frac{d}{dt}[2F(y)+z^2]=0$$

$$2F(y)+ z^2 = constant $$

for last part,
if $$f(y)=y$$ , then the differential equation is $y'' + y =0$, meaning that
$$y=A cosx +B Sinx$$ and $$z=-y'= - A sinx +B cosx$$.
And I also know $$z'' + z =0$$
I am trying to connect the above equations.
So, I can get $$cos^2x + sin^2x =1$$ which show the curves on the circles.

can someone please check my first,second and last part of answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
wel said:
Show that the nonlinear oscillator ##y" + f(y) =0## is equivalent to the system
$$y'= -z,~z'= f(y)$$
and that the solutions of the system lie on the family of curves
$$2F(y)+ z^2 = \textrm{constant}$$
where ##F_y= f(y)##. verify that if ##f(y)=y## the curves are circle.

=>
nonlinear oscillator ##y" + f(y) =0##

where
$$y'= -z,$$
$$z'= f(y)$$
This shows that the single equation ##y''+ f(y)= 0## can be written as the two equations ##y'= -z## and ##z'= f(y)##. To show they are equivalent you must also show the other way: that if ##y'= -z## and ##z'= f(y)## then ##y''+ f(y)= 0##.

$$y'' + f(y) =0$$
$$-y+f(y) =0$$ since (##y''=-y##)
where did you get that ##y''= -y##? That would be true ony iin the very simple case that ##f(y)= -y##. If this is a "nonlinear oscillator then ##f## must be nonlinear.
for the solution of the system lie on the family of curves, i was thinking

$$\frac{d}{dt}[F(y)^2+z^2]= y \frac{dy}{dt} + z \frac{dz}{dt}$$
This isn't true. You are missing a factor of ##2##. Further you have "lost" F on the right. ##\frac{dF}{dy}## is not necessarily equal to ##y##.

##2F(y)+z^2 = -yz+ zy##
Where did the ##-yz+ zy## come from? What you had before was a single expression that was not equal to anything. Why do

$$2F(y)+ z^2 = \textrm{constant}$$

if ##f(y)=y##, then the differential equation is ##y'' + y =0##, meaning that ##y=A\cos x +B\sin x## and ##z=-y'= - A \sin x +B \cos x##
No, if ##y= A \cos(x)+ B \sin(x)## then ##z= -y'= A sin(x)- B cos(x)##.

can someone please check my first,second and last part of answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have edited my answers for the first and second part. Would you someone don't mind checking it please.

correction for last part of answer
if [itex]f(y)=y[/itex], then the differential equation is [itex]y'' + y =0[/itex], meaning that
[itex]y=A cosx +B Sinx[/itex] and [itex]z=-y'= - A sinx +B cosx[/itex] are the rotate axes.
[itex]pA^2+qAB+rB^2=1[/itex]
[itex]p,q,r[/itex] depends on [itex]x[/itex]
choose [itex]x[/itex] such that [itex]q=0[/itex]
[itex]pA^2+rB^2=1[/itex]

what can i do after that?

Last edited:

Related to How Is a Nonlinear Oscillator Equivalent to a System of First-Order Equations?

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that involve an unknown function and one or more of its derivatives. They are used to model a wide range of phenomena in science and engineering, including motion, heat transfer, population growth, and many others.

2. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations (ODEs) involve a single independent variable and one or more derivatives of a function with respect to that variable. Partial differential equations (PDEs) involve multiple independent variables and one or more derivatives of a function with respect to those variables. PDEs are often used to model systems that vary in space and time, such as fluid flow or heat transfer in a solid.

3. How are differential equations solved?

There is no one universal method for solving all differential equations. However, some common techniques include separation of variables, using a substitution or change of variables, and using numerical methods such as Euler's method. Many differential equations also have analytical solutions, meaning they can be solved using algebraic techniques.

4. What is the practical application of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in a wide range of scientific and engineering fields to model and understand real-world phenomena. They are essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of systems such as electrical circuits, chemical reactions, and mechanical systems. They are also used in fields such as economics, epidemiology, and ecology to model and analyze complex systems.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in using differential equations?

One limitation of using differential equations is that they may not always have analytical solutions, making it difficult to solve them precisely. In these cases, numerical methods must be used, which can introduce errors. Additionally, some systems may be too complex to accurately model using differential equations, requiring more advanced techniques such as computational simulations.