How is broken symmetry really observed?

In summary, the LHC will be looking for evidence of supersymmetric particles by observing their mass and spin, as well as the mass splittings between these particles and the fermions of the Standard Model. If a new heavy fermion is discovered, it could potentially be evidence of supersymmetry, although it would not be a definitive proof. The success of the LHC will depend on the discovery of heavy scalars, which have not been observed previously. More information on the MSSM can be found by researching online, and further questions can be asked in this thread.
Redsummers
Hello,

Now that there's only one week left until the LHC starts working on the collisions, I think it's a good idea for me to ease my mind and ask how will they observe superparticles and discern them from the SM particles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Good question. There is no tag that each super particle will carry that says "I'm a result of supersymmetry breaking!". Rather, they will infer whether or not a new particle is a result of SUSY by its mass and spin. If they start discovering craploads of heavy scalars at LHC, that's a good sign that SUSY is an actual (broken) symmetry of nature. If the mass splittings between these scalars and the fermions of the SM align with current parameterizations of MSSM, even better. The bosons of the SM will also be expected to have heavier fermion partners.

However, let's say that at the end of the day LHC discovers one new heavy fermion. What does that mean? It of course could be SUSY, and that's probably what everyone would conclude because it's one of the only sensible extensions to the SM that predicts heavy fermions. But it would not be a smoking gun.

Oh sounds good! I get now the idea of what to expect to come out, for a success in LHC. Makes sense why they have to be a heavy scalars, otherwise they should've been observed previously. I must say that I am not really familiar with MSSM, so I will go ask my friend google, and if I have any further questions I may end up asking in this thread again.

Related to How is broken symmetry really observed?

1. What is broken symmetry and how is it observed?

Broken symmetry is a phenomenon in physics where a system does not exhibit the same properties as its underlying laws. It can be observed through various experimental techniques, such as scattering experiments, phase transitions, and particle collisions. These experiments help reveal the underlying symmetries of a system and how they are broken.

2. How do scientists determine if a system exhibits broken symmetry?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to determine if a system exhibits broken symmetry. These include theoretical models, mathematical calculations, and experimental data. By comparing the predictions of these models with the observed data, scientists can determine if a system exhibits broken symmetry and how it is manifested.

3. Can broken symmetry be observed in everyday life?

Yes, broken symmetry can be observed in everyday life. For example, the formation of crystals from a liquid is a result of broken symmetry. The liquid has a higher degree of symmetry than the solid crystal, which has a repeating pattern. Other examples include the formation of snowflakes, ripples on a pond, and the shapes of leaves and flowers.

4. How does broken symmetry apply to the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model of particle physics is based on the idea of symmetry. However, this symmetry is broken at high energies, which allows for the existence of different types of particles and their interactions. The discovery of the Higgs boson in 2012 confirmed the existence of this broken symmetry, providing further evidence for the Standard Model.

5. Can broken symmetry lead to new discoveries in physics?

Yes, broken symmetry has played a crucial role in advancing our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature. By studying the broken symmetries in different systems, scientists have been able to make groundbreaking discoveries, such as the Higgs boson and the theory of supersymmetry. Broken symmetry continues to be a significant area of research in physics and has the potential to lead to new discoveries in the future.