How Is Capacitance Calculated in a Cloud-to-Ground Model?

In summary, the base of a cloud can be treated as a parallel plate capacitor with a capacitance of 1.77*10^-7 Farads when considering the relative permittivity of air to be 1.0. However, the book's answer of 8.85*10^-9 Farads appears to be incorrect, as it is 20 times smaller than the correct value. It seems that the book may have used the incorrect value for the area, which would result in a significantly smaller capacitance.
Badrakhandama
1. The base of a cloud has an area of 2*10^7 metres squared and is on average 1km above the ground. treating the base of the cloud, the ground and the intervening air gap as a parallel plate capacitor, calculate the capacitance.[relative permittivity of air = 1.0]

2. I tried to say C = (Eo)(Er)(A)/(D)

And so, C = (8.85*10^-12)(1.0)(2*10^7)/(1000)

And this gives me C = 1.77*10^-7 Farads. However, the answer the book gives is 8.85*10^-9 Farads. Is the book wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I also got 1.77x10^-7 F, so I guess the book must be wrong.

Hi Badrakhandama! :smile:

(have an epsilon: ε and try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)
Badrakhandama said:
C = (Eo)(Er)(A)/(D)

And so, C = (8.85*10^-12)(1.0)(2*10^7)/(1000)[/b]

And this gives me C = 1.77*10^-7 Farads. However, the answer the book gives is 8.85*10^-9 Farads. Is the book wrong?

Yes, I can't see anything wrong with your answer either…

the book's answer is exactly 20 times too small, so it looks as if they used A = 106 instead! :rolleyes:

Related to How Is Capacitance Calculated in a Cloud-to-Ground Model?

1. What is lightning and how is it formed?

Lightning is a sudden, powerful electrostatic discharge that occurs during a thunderstorm. It is formed when there is an imbalance between positive and negative charges within a cloud or between a cloud and the ground. This imbalance causes a flow of electricity, resulting in a bright flash of light and a loud sound.

2. How does capacitance relate to lightning?

Capacitance is the ability of a material to store electrical energy. In the case of lightning, the capacitance of the atmosphere plays a crucial role. The atmosphere acts as a capacitor, with the positively charged upper part and the negatively charged lower part. This capacitance allows for the buildup and release of electrical energy during a thunderstorm, resulting in lightning.

3. Can lightning be harnessed as a source of energy?

Yes, lightning can be harnessed as a source of energy through a process called "atmospheric electricity harvesting". This involves capturing the electrical energy from lightning strikes and converting it into usable electricity. However, this process is still in the experimental stage and is not yet a widely used source of energy.

4. Is lightning always dangerous?

Yes, lightning is always dangerous. It can cause significant damage to property and can also be life-threatening to humans and animals. It is important to take precautions, such as seeking shelter during a thunderstorm, to avoid being struck by lightning.

5. What safety measures should be taken during a lightning storm?

During a lightning storm, it is important to seek shelter in a sturdy building or a hard-topped metal vehicle. Avoid open spaces, tall trees, and bodies of water. If you are caught in an open area, crouch down on the balls of your feet, keep your feet together, and cover your ears. It is also recommended to stay away from electronic devices and avoid taking a shower or using a landline phone during a lightning storm.

Back