How Is Coefficient of Restitution Used in Car Accident Reconstruction?

In summary: The summary is: In summary, the conversation is about a physics lab where the students are required to do accident reconstruction, but the difficulty lies in calculating collision with coefficients of restitution. The homework involves two cars, one traveling east at 15 mph and the other traveling north at 40 mph, and the distances and angles they skid after collision. The coefficient of friction and restitution are also given. The task is to use equations for these coefficients to determine the initial velocities of the cars and verify if one of the drivers was speeding. The conservation of momentum and energy equations are mentioned, and the expression for the final total kinetic energy is equal to the coefficient of restitution times the initial total kinetic energy is confirmed. The velocities are not relative to the center
Krazykaveman
My physics professor gave us a lab in which we have to do accident reconstruction. The difficulty I am having is that we have not gone over how to calculate collision with coefficients of restitution in class. So far we've only done completely elastic or inelastic, yet now he expects us to do this on our own.

Homework Statement

Car 1 traveling east and claims they were going 15 mph.
Car 2 is traveling north and claims they were going 40 mph.

After collision, Car 1 skids 66.8ft, 30º north of east
Car 2 skids 16.7ft, 9º south of east.

The coefficient of friction is .8 and the coefficient of restitution is approx 41%.

Car 1 claims that Car 2 rammed into the side of her car.
Car 2 claims that Car 1 rammed into the side of her car (travelling at a high rate of speed)
Car 2 had the right of way.

Homework Equations

1/2mv^2 = μmgd (1)
KE(init)/KE(final) = C.O.R. ^ 2 (2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the distances traveled and the amount of friction involved, I calculated the speed of each car the moment after collision. Now I am trying to verify the initial speeds of each driver. I know one of the drivers were speeding by using eqn. 2 and finding the velocities in the center of mass frame of reference, however this method will not help me guess what the initial velocities would be but just that the initial speeds are too low. I currently suspect that car 1 was going at a much higher rate of speed and was hit by car 2.

How would I use this data and use equations for coefficient of restitution to figure out what the initial velocities of the cars would be if one were speeding?

Physics news on Phys.org
Write out both the conservation of momentum equations and the conservation of energy equation. The final total kinetic energy is equal to the coefficient of restitution times the initial total kinetic energy. There's nothing mysterious about this; it's just how the coefficient of restitution is defined.

So just to clarify, is the following expression true?

[tex] 1/2m_1v_1_f^2 + 1/2m_2v_2_f^2 = (1/2m_1v_1_i^2 + 1/2m_2v_2_i^2) * C.O.R.[/tex]

And the velocities are not relative to the center of mass or anything like that?

Related to How Is Coefficient of Restitution Used in Car Accident Reconstruction?

What is car accident reconstruction?

Car accident reconstruction is the process of using scientific principles and techniques to investigate and analyze the causes and events of a car accident. This includes gathering evidence, evaluating data, and creating a simulation or model of the accident to determine how it occurred.

Why is car accident reconstruction important?

Car accident reconstruction is important because it provides valuable information for determining liability and understanding the factors that contributed to the accident. This information can be used by law enforcement, insurance companies, and legal professionals to make informed decisions about the accident.

What methods are used in car accident reconstruction?

Car accident reconstruction uses a variety of methods, including physical evidence analysis, vehicle and scene documentation, computer simulations, and witness and expert testimony. These methods are used to recreate the accident and determine factors such as speed, vehicle positions, and impact forces.

Who performs car accident reconstruction?

Car accident reconstruction is typically performed by forensic engineers, accident investigators, or other professionals with specialized training in accident reconstruction. These individuals may work for law enforcement agencies, insurance companies, or as independent consultants.

What are the limitations of car accident reconstruction?

Car accident reconstruction has limitations, as it is based on available evidence and assumptions. Factors such as weather conditions, road conditions, and human error can also complicate the accuracy of the reconstruction. Additionally, not all accidents can be accurately reconstructed due to lack of evidence or other factors.