How Is Current Induced in a Circular Coil by a Changing Magnetic Field?

In summary, the problem involves a circular coil with a radius of 5.0 cm and resistance of 0.20 Ω in a uniform magnetic field that changes with time according to B = 0.50e-20t T. The task is to determine the magnitude of the current induced in the coil at t = 2.0 s. The solution involves taking into account the self inductance L of the coil in addition to calculating E(t) and R, and then solving the differential equation. The final answer should take into account the varying E and I values.
fruitbubbles

Homework Statement

. A circular coil of radius 5.0 cm and resistance 0.20 Ω is placed in a uniform magnetic field perpendicular to the plane of the coil. The magnitude of the field changes with time according to B = 0.50e-20t T. What is the magnitude of the current induced in the coil at the time t = 2.0 s?

Homework Equations

Φ = BAcos(0) = BA
emf = -dΦB /dt = -d(BA)/dt = -A * d(B)/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I differentiated that magnetic field and got -10e-20t, then multiplied that times pi*(.052), and ultimately divided by .2 Ω. My answer is 1.66*1018, which is nowhere near any of the answers. I feel like I'm following a logical path but obviously this isn't working, so I don't know what else to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your mistake is that you don't take into account the self inductance L of the coil. It will be [itex] E+L\frac{dI}{dt}+IR=0[/itex] where E(t) exactly as you calculated and R=0.2Ohm. You still have to calculate L from the geometrical data of the coil and then solve the differential equation. In doing that becareful that E is not constant but varies with time as of course the current I(t) do so also.

Related to How Is Current Induced in a Circular Coil by a Changing Magnetic Field?

1. What is the magnitude of current induced?

The magnitude of current induced refers to the strength or intensity of the electric current that is produced in a closed circuit due to the change in magnetic flux. It is measured in amperes (A) and can vary depending on the factors such as the number of loops in the circuit, the strength of the magnetic field, and the rate of change of the magnetic field.

2. How is the magnitude of current induced calculated?

The magnitude of current induced can be calculated using Faraday's law of induction, which states that the magnitude of the induced current is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the circuit. This can be represented by the equation: I = -N ΔΦ/Δt, where I is the induced current, N is the number of loops in the circuit, and ΔΦ/Δt is the change in magnetic flux over time.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of current induced?

The magnitude of current induced can be affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the number of loops in the circuit, and the rate of change of the magnetic field. Additionally, the presence of a conductive material, the distance between the circuit and the magnetic field, and the size and shape of the circuit can also impact the magnitude of current induced.

4. How does the direction of motion affect the magnitude of current induced?

The direction of motion can have a significant impact on the magnitude of current induced. If the motion is perpendicular to the magnetic field, the induced current will be at its maximum. However, if the motion is parallel to the magnetic field, the induced current will be minimal or zero. This is because the induced current is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux.

5. What are some real-life applications of the magnitude of current induced?

The concept of the magnitude of current induced has several real-life applications, such as in generators and transformers. Generators use the principle of electromagnetic induction to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy, while transformers use it to change the voltage of an alternating current. Induction cooktops, metal detectors, and electric guitars are also examples of devices that utilize the magnitude of current induced.