How Is EMF Generated in a Coil Flipped in a Magnetic Field?

In summary, a circular coil with 25 turns and a diameter of 1.00 m is placed in a 50.0 T magnetic field and flipped 180° in 0.200 s. The average induced emf in the coil can be calculated using the formula E = -NBAw.sin(180), where w = 2*pi/t. This results in an average emf of 0, meaning that there is no final emf in the coil. This is due to the change in magnetic flux caused by the flipping of the coil, which can be calculated by dividing the flux change by the time interval.
Moh'd Ali MQN
A 25-turn circular coil of wire has diameter 1.00 m. It is placed with its axis along the direction of the Earth’s magnetic field of 50.0 /T, and then in 0.200 s it is flipped 180°. An average emf of what magnitude is generated in the coil?

This is a question in my book and the answer was
http://store1.up-00.com/Jun11/M8h57751.p…
Why didnt we use the formula where we derive the angle as : E=-N.d(BAcos(wt))/dt
My solution was as follows:
E = -NBAw.sin(wt), where w = 2.pi/t
E = -NBAw.sin(180) = 0 and this was logical to me because the final emf in the coil is zero and we get an average of zero. Unless there is another meaning of average emf...

help me out please

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Earth's magnetic field is well below 50 T. As a matter of fact I don't know whether such a strong field has been achieved yet. Anyway, let´s say you have an inmensely powerful magnet that provides a uniform B of 50 T. When the coil's axis points along B, the magnetic flux across the coil is computed as B*A* N, where A is the area of the coil and N the number of turns. When the coil is flipped 180 degrees the flux has the same magnitude but opposite sign because the axis is pointing the other way. Thus the flux has changed 2*B*A*N. Know, you divide the flux change into the time interval and you get the average induced electromagnetic force.

Related to How Is EMF Generated in a Coil Flipped in a Magnetic Field?

1. What is Faraday's law?

Faraday's law states that the induced electromotive force (emf) in a closed circuit is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the circuit.

2. How does Faraday's law relate to electromagnetic induction?

Faraday's law is one of the fundamental principles of electromagnetic induction, which describes the generation of an emf in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field.

3. What is an emf problem in the context of Faraday's law?

An emf problem in the context of Faraday's law refers to a situation where the emf induced in a circuit is unknown and needs to be calculated using the principles of Faraday's law.

4. How is Faraday's law used in real-world applications?

Faraday's law has a wide range of applications, including power generation, electric motors, transformers, and generators. It is also used in devices such as induction cooktops and wireless charging technology.

5. What factors affect the magnitude of the induced emf in a circuit?

The magnitude of the induced emf in a circuit is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the velocity of the conductor, the length of the conductor, and the angle between the magnetic field and the conductor.