How Is Energy Calculated in a Nuclear Fusion Reaction?

In summary, the conversation discusses a nuclear fusion reaction involving 2^H and 4^He atoms and calculating the decrease in rest mass and released energy. The decrease in mass is found to be 2.6e-8 unified mass units and the energy released is equal to the binding energy. To relate the number of reactions to 1 Watt per second, one must convert the released energy from MeV to joules and then calculate the number of reactions per second that yield a power output of 1 W.
Benzoate

Homework Statement

In a nuclear fusion reaction two 2^H atoms are combined to produced 4^He (2 is not raised to the H power; 4 is not raised to the He power) . a) calculate the decrease in rest mass in unified mass units b) How much energy is released in this reaction? c) How many such reactions must take place per second to produce 1 W of power?

Homework Equations

2^H = 1875.613 MeV ; 4^He=3727.379 MeV
1 u= 931.5 MeV/c^2
P=Energy/time

The Attempt at a Solution

In part a, I first have to find the Binding Energy and in order to find the Binding energy I first have to write out the reaction of hydrogen and helium: 2^H +2^H => 4^He . therefore BE=(1875.613 MeV + 1875.613 MeV)-(3727.379 MeV)= 23.85 MeV ; therefore the decrease in mass is: 23.85e6eV/931.5MeV=2.6e-8 u

In part b, the energy released would just be equal to the magnitude to of the binding energy: The reaction is in reverse: 4^He => 2^H + 2^H => (3727.379)-(1875.613 + 1875.613)= -23.847 eV

In part c, I not sure how to relate the number of reactions to 1 Watt per second

Physics news on Phys.org
Benzoate said:

The Attempt at a Solution

In part a, I first have to find the Binding Energy and in order to find the Binding energy I first have to write out the reaction of hydrogen and helium: 2^H +2^H => 4^He . therefore BE=(1875.613 MeV + 1875.613 MeV)-(3727.379 MeV)= 23.85 MeV ; therefore the decrease in mass is: 23.85e6eV/931.5MeV=2.6e-8 u

First off, 23.85e6 eV = 23.85 MeV. So that conversion should be...?

In part b, the energy released would just be equal to the magnitude to of the binding energy.

Correct. As to whether the sign is positive or negative depends on which convention you are using in your course.

In part c, I not sure how to relate the number of reactions to 1 Watt per second

I think this should say "the number of reactions per second to 1 Watt". I guess they're asking how many such fusion reactions per second yield a power output of 1 W.
You now know how many MeV per reaction are released; what is that in joules? Since a watt is 1 joule/second, you should be able to find your way from here...

Your solution for part a and b is correct. For part c, we can use the formula P=Energy/time, where P is power, Energy is the energy released in the reaction, and time is the time it takes for the reaction to occur. We know from part b that the energy released is -23.847 eV. Now, we need to find the time it takes for one reaction to occur. This can be found using the formula E=mc^2, where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light. Rearranging the formula, we get t=E/mc^2. Plugging in the values, we get t=(-23.847 eV)/((2.6e-8 u)(931.5 MeV/c^2)(3e8 m/s)^2)=1.9e-18 seconds. Now, to produce 1 Watt of power, we need to have 1 Joule of energy per second. Therefore, we divide 1 Watt by the energy released per reaction to get the number of reactions per second: (1 Joule/second)/(-23.847 eV/reaction)=4.2e19 reactions per second.

Related to How Is Energy Calculated in a Nuclear Fusion Reaction?

1. What is binding energy?

Binding energy refers to the amount of energy required to keep the nucleus of an atom together. In other words, it is the energy that holds the protons and neutrons together in the nucleus.

2. How is binding energy calculated?

Binding energy is calculated by taking the difference between the mass of the individual nucleons (protons and neutrons) and the mass of the nucleus as a whole. This difference is then converted into energy using Einstein's famous equation, E=mc².

3. Why is binding energy important in nuclear reactions?

Binding energy plays a crucial role in nuclear reactions, as it determines the stability of a nucleus and the energy released or absorbed during a reaction. It also helps in understanding the behavior of radioactive elements and predicting the products of nuclear reactions.

4. What is the relationship between binding energy and nuclear stability?

The higher the binding energy per nucleon of a nucleus, the more stable it is. This is because a higher binding energy indicates a stronger force holding the nucleus together, making it less likely to undergo spontaneous decay.

5. Can binding energy be changed?

Yes, binding energy can be changed through nuclear reactions, where the nucleus can absorb or release energy to reach a more stable state. This is the basis of nuclear power and weapons, where large amounts of energy are released by manipulating the binding energy of atoms.