How is equation 15.14 derived in the wave speed derivation?

In summary, the textbook provides a diagram and equation 15.14, which mathematically represents the concept that the slope of a rope at any point must coincide with the direction of the tension force in the rope. The equation is not explained and the person is seeking clarification on its origin.
Fluxthroughme
33tt7og.png
With reference to this diagram, my textbook tells me the following:

312cn5v.png

I am able to follow the rest of the derivation after this point, but I do not understand where equation 15.14 came from? I'm trying to think in terms of small angle approximations, but nothing is really coming of that. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation just says mathematically what the words say.

tms said:
The equation just says mathematically what the words say.

I know what the equation says. I don't know where it came from, I.E, I don't know why it is true.

The rope can only experience tension. Therefore, the slope of the rope at any point must also coincide with the direction of the tension force in the rope.

Equation 15.14 is derived by applying the small angle approximation to the trigonometric functions in the equation. In this case, we are dealing with a transverse wave propagating along a string, and the small angle approximation allows us to simplify the trigonometric functions involved in the derivation. The equation is derived by considering the forces acting on a small section of the string and using Newton's second law to equate the sum of these forces to the mass of the section times its acceleration. This leads to the equation 15.14, which relates the wave speed to the tension and mass per unit length of the string. The small angle approximation is necessary because it allows us to simplify the equations and make them easier to solve, while still providing a good approximation of the actual values.

Related to How is equation 15.14 derived in the wave speed derivation?

1. What is wave speed?

Wave speed is the rate at which a wave travels through a medium, such as air, water, or a solid material. It is usually measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

2. How is wave speed calculated?

The wave speed can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the wave by the time it takes to travel that distance. This can be expressed as the equation: wave speed = distance / time.

3. What factors affect wave speed?

The factors that affect wave speed include the properties of the medium, such as density and elasticity, as well as the wavelength and frequency of the wave. In general, waves travel faster in denser and more elastic mediums, and shorter wavelengths and higher frequencies also result in higher wave speeds.

4. How is wave speed related to wavelength and frequency?

Wave speed is directly proportional to both wavelength and frequency. This means that as the wavelength or frequency increases, the wave speed also increases. This relationship can be expressed as the equation: wave speed = wavelength x frequency.

5. What are some real-life examples of wave speed?

Some real-life examples of wave speed include the speed of sound in air or water, the speed of light in a vacuum, and the speed of seismic waves during an earthquake. The speed of a wave on a rope or string is also an example of wave speed in action.