How Is Gravitational Acceleration Expressed Using Distance and Time Intervals?

• Thread starter monkeylord714
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, the problem involves measuring the value of g, the gravitational acceleration, by timing the passage of a ball through two light beams. The goal is to express g in terms of the distance between the light beams (s) and the times of passage through the beams (t0, t1, t2, t3). The solution involves using Newton's second law and integrating twice to find the distance travelled by the ball.
monkeylord714

Homework Statement

In a physics laboratory the value of g, the gravitational acceleration in the vicinity of earth, has been measured accurately by projecting a ball up an evacuated tube and electronically timing the passage of the ball in its upward and downward flight through two light beams, an accurately known distance s apart. If the successive times of passage through the beams are: t0, t1, t2, and t3, express g in terms of s, and the times of the passage of the ball

Homework Equations

I really do not know how to begin this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I want to multiply g to t0, t1, t2... etc and then set it equal to s. But I don't think that is the correct way

Physics news on Phys.org
monkeylord714 said:

Homework Statement

In a physics laboratory the value of g, the gravitational acceleration in the vicinity of earth, has been measured accurately by projecting a ball up an evacuated tube and electronically timing the passage of the ball in its upward and downward flight through two light beams, an accurately known distance s apart. If the successive times of passage through the beams are: t0, t1, t2, and t3, express g in terms of s, and the times of the passage of the ball

Homework Equations

I really do not know how to begin this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I want to multiply g to t0, t1, t2... etc and then set it equal to s. But I don't think that is the correct way
Almost every problem of this type starts with a look at what Newton's second law says about it. Use it to find a function that gives you the ball's position at each time. (The formula will contain some variables whose values are unknown). Then find a way to use that function.

If you just multiply g with one of those times, you get something with units of length/time, i.e. a velocity, so it can't be equal to s.

Hi, this is my first semester of physics and I want to get as much practice as possible so I decided to give this a whirl and would love if someone could confirm if I'm correct or not.

Basically by using Newtons second law I started off with F=ma, well in this case force could also be considered weight or mg so now I got mg = ma.

I changed "a" to equal distance (s) over time squared so mg = m(s/t^2) and canceled out the mass to get g = s/t^2. Thanks to anyone who might respond with some feedback

Godliath said:
Basically by using Newtons second law I started off with F=ma, well in this case force could also be considered weight or mg so now I got mg = ma.

I changed "a" to equal distance (s) over time squared so mg = m(s/t^2) and canceled out the mass to get g = s/t^2. Thanks to anyone who might respond with some feedback
That's not the correct answer, and if it had been, your post would have been in violation of the rules of the homework forum. We don't give out solutions here. We just give hints, and point out mistakes. So I'm afraid I can't help you (Godliath) much in this thread. If you and I discuss this problem here, we would be giving away too much information to monkeylord714.

I will elaborate just a little bit on what I said before. If we denote the distance from the floor by x, we can write Newton's 2nd in the form mx''(t)=F. What is F? Figure it out, and then integrate twice to find x.

Hi monkeylord 714. Welcome to physics forums!

You didn't write down any equations in item 2 of the template, but you need a place to start. Did you learn any equations in your course for relating distance, velocity, acceleration, and time for systems in which the acceleration is constant? These will have to be your starting point. Please write down the associated equations you have had in your course.

Chet

Related to How Is Gravitational Acceleration Expressed Using Distance and Time Intervals?

1. How do you express g in terms of s?

G can be expressed in terms of s by using the formula g = s/t^2, where s is the distance traveled and t is the time taken.

2. Why is it important to express g in terms of s?

Expressing g in terms of s allows us to calculate the acceleration due to gravity without having to measure time. This is useful in situations where time cannot be accurately measured, such as in free fall or on other planets.

3. Is there a specific unit for expressing g in terms of s?

Yes, the unit for expressing g in terms of s is meters per second squared (m/s^2). This unit represents the acceleration of an object due to gravity at a particular point in time.

4. Can g be expressed in terms of other variables besides s?

Yes, g can also be expressed in terms of velocity (v) and radius (r) using the formula g = v^2/r. This is commonly used in circular motion calculations.

5. How is expressing g in terms of s related to Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Expressing g in terms of s allows us to understand the relationship between acceleration and distance traveled, which is a key concept in Newton's Second Law of Motion. This law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. By expressing g in terms of s, we can better understand the acceleration of objects under the influence of gravity.