How is Impulse Related to Momentum?

It's a pleasure to help someone so polite and willing to learn.In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving an object with an initial velocity and a varying net force over a time interval. The solutions involve calculating the net impulse, final momentum, and average net force exerted on the object. The final momentum is found to be 839 kg m/s.
pirateboy
I'm a bit confused by this question. If you could help me check my work, that'd be great.
Thanks.

Homework Statement

A 40kg object with an initial velocity [tex]\vec{v}_0 = (20 \text{m}/\text{s})\hat{i}[/tex] is accelerated by a varying net force [tex]\vec{F}(t)=\left[ \left( 3.0 \text{N}/\text{s}^2\right)t^2 - \left( 4.0 \text{N}/\text{s}^2 \right)t + 10.0\text{N} \right]\hat{i}[/tex] over a time interval of 3.0 seconds.

a) What is the net implulse [tex](\vec{J})[/tex] received by the object using the force equation above.

b) What is the final momentum of the object at the end of the time interval?

c) What is the average net force exerted on the object over the time interval?

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{p} = m\vec{v}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{F}_{\text{net}} = \frac{d\vec{p}}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{J} = \int_{t_i}^{t_f}\vec{F}(t)\,dt[/tex]

[tex]F_{\text{avg}} = \frac{J}{\Delta t}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I had trouble at part b.

a)So [tex]\int_{0}^{3.0}\vec{F}(t)\,dt = \left[ \left(t^3 -2.0t^2+10.0t \right)\hat{i} \right]_{0}^{3.0} = 39 \text{kg}\cdot\text{m}/\text{s}[/tex]

b)This is where I was confused.

Well, since [tex]\vec{p} = m\vec{v}[/tex], I solved the indefinate integral
[tex]\int\vec{F}(t)\,dt = t^3-2t^2+10t + C[/tex]
And since
[tex]\vec{F}_{\text{net}} = \frac{d\vec{p}}{dt}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{p} = m\vec{v}[/tex]
then
[tex]\vec{p}(0) = t^3 - 2.0t^2 + 10.0t + C = m\vec{v}_0 = 800[/tex],
so [tex]C = 800[/tex]?

So final momentum is
[tex]\vec{p}(3) = (3)^3 -2(3)^2 + 10(3) + 800 = 815 \text{kg}\cdot\text{m}/\text{s}??[/tex]

c)
[tex]F_{\text{avg}} = \frac{39}{3.0-0} = 13\,\text{N}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, pirateboy.
I don't see why (b) needs to be so complicated.
The impulse is equal to the change in momentum, so your 39 is the change in momentum. Final momentum is 40*20 + 39.

I think you have an adding error in the line where you get 815. I get 839 there.

where did that 15 come from? that's what i get for having a jumbled scratch sheet, i guess.

and wow, i guess 40*20 + 39 does make sense, doesn't it. i guess i just got caught up in making things difficult for myself. thanks!

Most welcome!

Your solution for part a is correct.

For part b, you are on the right track. The final momentum should be equal to the initial momentum plus the impulse received by the object. So, in this case, it would be:

\vec{p}(3) = (800 \text{kg}\cdot\text{m}/\text{s}) + (39 \text{kg}\cdot\text{m}/\text{s}) = 839 \text{kg}\cdot\text{m}/\text{s}

For part c, you have correctly calculated the average net force. Good job!

Related to How is Impulse Related to Momentum?

1. What is impulse and momentum?

Impulse and momentum are two closely related physical concepts that describe the motion of an object. Impulse is the product of a force acting on an object and the time it takes for that force to act. Momentum is the product of an object's mass and its velocity. In simple terms, impulse is a measure of how much a force changes an object's momentum.

2. How are impulse and momentum related?

Impulse and momentum are related by Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the rate of change of its momentum. This means that the greater the impulse applied to an object, the greater its change in momentum will be. In other words, impulse causes a change in an object's momentum.

3. What is the difference between linear and angular momentum?

Linear momentum refers to the motion of an object in a straight line, while angular momentum refers to the motion of an object around an axis of rotation. Linear momentum is measured in units of mass times velocity, while angular momentum is measured in units of moment of inertia times angular velocity.

4. How do you calculate impulse and momentum?

To calculate impulse, you can use the formula FΔt = mΔv, where F is the force applied, Δt is the time the force is applied, m is the mass of the object, and Δv is the change in velocity. To calculate momentum, you can use the formula p = mv, where p is the momentum, m is the mass, and v is the velocity of the object.

5. What are some real-world applications of impulse and momentum?

Impulse and momentum are important concepts in many fields, including physics, engineering, and sports. Some real-world applications include car collisions, rocket launches, and sports such as football and hockey where momentum and impulse play a significant role in the movement of players and objects.