How Is Kinetic Energy Calculated After an Electron Crosses Parallel Plates?

In summary, an electron accelerated from rest across a set of parallel plates with a potential difference of 150V and a separation of 0.80 cm will have a kinetic energy of 2.4 * 10^-17 J. The mistake in the calculation was using the incorrect unit of meters instead of centimeters.

Homework Statement

An electron is accelerated from rest across a set of parallel plates that have a potential difference of 150V and are separated by 0.80 cm.

a) Determine the kinetic energy of the electron after it crosses the plates

Homework Equations

N/C = J/C/d

The Attempt at a Solution

+++++++++++++++++ delta => {(150 V), (0.8 cm)}

e (going up)
----------------------

150 J/C / (0.8 cm * 1 m / 100 cm) = 18750 N/C

So at the start it has about 18750 N/C * e of potential energy, all which transfers to kinetic energy at the end, meaning it has 18750 N/C * e of kinetic energy at the end point

18750 N/C * 1.6 * 10^-19 C

and I get an answer of 3e-15 J.

However, the book lists 2.4 * 10^-17 J. What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
x86 said:

Homework Statement

An electron is accelerated from rest across a set of parallel plates that have a potential difference of 150V and are separated by 0.80 cm.

a) Determine the kinetic energy of the electron after it crosses the plates

Homework Equations

N/C = J/C/d
That should be N/C = J/C/m

The Attempt at a Solution

+++++++++++++++++ delta => {(150 V), (0.8 cm)}

e (going up)
----------------------

150 J/C / (0.8 cm * 1 m / 100 cm) = 18750 N/C

So at the start it has about 18750 N/C * e of potential energy, all which transfers to kinetic energy at the end, meaning it has 18750 N/C * e of kinetic energy at the end point
A quantity with units of N/C time a quantity with units of charge, gives a quantity with units of N, i.e. a Force, not energy.

18750 N/C * 1.6 * 10^-19 C

and I get an answer of 3e-15 J.

However, the book lists 2.4 * 10^-17 J. What did I do wrong?

SammyS said:
That should be N/C = J/C/m

A quantity with units of N/C time a quantity with units of charge, gives a quantity with units of N, i.e. a Force, not energy.

Thank you for your help. I can't believe I didn't notice that. I guess it's time for a break! :P

x86 said:
Thank you for your help. I can't believe I didn't notice that. I guess it's time for a break! :P

Yes.

An object of charge, Q, when accelerated through a potential difference of X Volts, will gain (Q times X) Joules of Kinetic Energy.

Your solution is incorrect because you have used the wrong units for distance. In the equation N/C = J/C/d, the distance should be in meters, not centimeters. So your calculation should be 150 J/C / (0.008 m) = 18750 N/C.

Furthermore, the equation you used is for electric field strength, not potential energy. To calculate the kinetic energy of the electron, you need to use the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the electron and v is its velocity.

Using this equation, we can calculate the velocity of the electron after crossing the plates. We know that the potential difference, V, is equal to the change in potential energy, so we can write the equation as V = KE/e. Solving for KE, we get KE = e * V.

Plugging in the values, we get KE = (1.6 * 10^-19 C) * (150 V) = 2.4 * 10^-17 J, which is the correct answer given in the book.

In conclusion, to solve this problem correctly, you need to use the correct units and the correct equation for calculating kinetic energy.

Related to How Is Kinetic Energy Calculated After an Electron Crosses Parallel Plates?

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the intensity and direction of the force that a charged particle experiences at a given point in space. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. What causes an electric field?

An electric field is created by the presence of electric charges. Positive charges create electric fields that point away from them, while negative charges create electric fields that point towards them.

3. How is the strength of an electric field measured?

The strength of an electric field is measured using a unit called volts per meter (V/m). This unit represents the amount of force per unit charge at a given point in the electric field.

4. What is the difference between an electric field and an electric potential?

An electric field is a force field, while electric potential is a scalar field. This means that while an electric field has both magnitude and direction, electric potential only has magnitude and represents the amount of potential energy per unit charge at a given point in the field.

5. How can electric fields be manipulated?

Electric fields can be manipulated by changing the amount and distribution of electric charges, as well as by using conductors and insulators to control the flow of electric charges. Additionally, electric fields can be manipulated by applying an external electric field using devices such as capacitors or transformers.