How Is Kinetic Friction Calculated for a Skier on a Horizontal Surface?

• Thread starter Intrusionv2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slope
In summary, using the given information of a skier with a mass of 53 kg skiing down an icy (frictionless) slope at an angle of 32° with respect to the horizontal, coming to rest after a horizontal distance of 155 m, the speed of the skier at the bottom of the slope is 24.755 m/s. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the skier and the horizontal surface is 0.2017. This can be found by using the equation Fk = ma and considering only the horizontal forces acting on the skier.
Intrusionv2

Homework Statement

A skier with a mass of 53 kg starts from rest and skis down an icy (frictionless) slope that has a length of 59 m at an angle of 32° with respect to the horizontal. At the bottom of the slope, the path levels out and becomes horizontal, the snow becomes less icy, and the skier begins to slow down, coming to rest in a distance of 155 m along the horizontal path.

(a) What is the speed of the skier at the bottom of the slope?
(b) What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the skier and the horizontal surface?

I just need help with (b)

Homework Equations

Vf2 - Vi2 = 2ay
fk = uk*N

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't need help with (a) but I'll list what I did anyway...

(a) What is the speed of the skier at the bottom of the slope?

Got the height first.

-->sin32 = y/59

Vi = 0m/s
-->Vf2 = 2ay
-->Vf2 = 2*-9.8m/s2*-31.265m
-->Vf = 24.755 m/s(b)

Vi = 24.755m/s
Vf = 0m/s
x = 155m

-->Vf2-Vi2 = 2*a*x
-->0 - 24.7552 = 2*a*155m
-->a = -1.9768m/s2

-->F - Fk = ma
-->mg - ukN = ma
-->mg - ukmg = ma
-->g - ukg = a
-->uk = (g-a) / g
-->uk = (-9.8m/s2 - (-1.9768m/s2)) / (-9.8m/s2)
-->uk = 0.7983

Somehow this is wrong? Any help is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The speed you calculated in part (a) is incorrect. First the vertical component of acceleration is not -9.8 (the skier isn't in free fall, there are forces pushing up on him as well as pulling down). Second, you only considered the vertical speed of the skier and completely neglected the horizontal speed.

The speed you want is the magnitude of the velocity that is parallel to the ski slope, since once he reaches the bottom all that velocity will be redirected horizontally.

Start by drawing a free body diagram for the skier. Then find the components of each force that is parallel to the ski slope. Use those components in Newtons 2nd law to find the acceleration.It would be easier to use energy, but I'm assuming you haven't learned that in class yet.

Actually, it is correct as I checked the answer. I'm guessing they just want the y-component. We haven't learned energy yet but I went ahead and looked it up and got the same answer using the potential energy to get the KE at the bottom.

Only (b) is incorrect.

lol, you're right, the speed is correct. I didn't even bother to calculate the speed or look at part b, once I saw your equation. You got lucky there actually because the reasoning is still incorrect, It just happens to work out to the same as the energy equation, but like i said it appears to be blind luck.

Anyway, in part B, only horizontal forces are slowing him down. The only horizontal force acting on the skier is friction. The skiers weight has no horizontal component.

Ahhh, I see now. Thanks! I was compensating for the vertical forces as well.

For those who are reading this thread in the future, the coefficient of kinetic friction between the skier and the horizontal surface is just:

-->Fk = ma
-->ukN = ma
-->ukg = a
-->uk = a/g
-->uk = -1.9768m/s2 / -9.8m/s2 = 0.2017

Related to How Is Kinetic Friction Calculated for a Skier on a Horizontal Surface?

What is the average speed of a skier going down a slope?

The average speed of a skier going down a slope depends on various factors such as the steepness of the slope, snow conditions, and the skill level of the skier. Generally, experienced skiers can reach speeds of up to 40-50 miles per hour, while beginners tend to go at a slower pace of around 10-20 miles per hour.

What is the proper technique for skiing down a slope?

The proper technique for skiing down a slope includes keeping your skis parallel, leaning slightly forward, and using your poles for balance. It is also important to maintain a good center of gravity and to use your edges to control your speed and direction.

What safety precautions should a skier take when going down a slope?

To ensure safety when skiing down a slope, it is important to always wear a helmet and other protective gear. Skiers should also follow the designated trails and avoid skiing in closed or off-limits areas. It is also recommended to ski with a partner and to be aware of other skiers on the slope to avoid collisions.

How does the weight of a skier affect their speed when going down a slope?

The weight of a skier can have a significant impact on their speed when going down a slope. Heavier skiers tend to have more momentum and can reach higher speeds compared to lighter skiers. However, lighter skiers may have an advantage when it comes to maneuverability and control on the slope.

What are some common mistakes that skiers make when going down a slope?

Some common mistakes that skiers make when going down a slope include leaning back too far, skiing too fast for their skill level, and not using their edges effectively. These mistakes can lead to loss of control and accidents. It is important for skiers to practice proper technique and to always be aware of their surroundings while skiing.