How Is Magnetic Field Strength Calculated in a Balanced Wire Coil System?

This value should remain the same even after the additional weight is added, as the current and number of turns in the coil remain constant. In summary, a wire coil with 200 turns and a cross-section of 1 cm2 is placed between the poles of a magnet on a mechanical balance. After connecting the coil to an outside circuit and passing a current of 30 mA through it, an additional weight of 55 mg is placed on the counterbalance to maintain balance. The strength of the magnetic field at the coil's location is found to be 18 μT.
amy121212
A small wire coil K is placed at the end of the mechanical balance and inserted between the poles of the magnet as shown on the picture. Number of turns in the coil N=200, coil’s cross-section S=1 cm2, the length of arm OA (between the pivot point and counterbalancing weight) l=33 cm. The system is balanced. Now, the coil is connected to the outside circuit (not shown) and a current I=30 mA is passed through the coil. In order to keep the balance, an additional weight of delta m=55 mg is placed on the counterbalance. Find the strength of magnetic field B at the coil’s location.

I really have no direction for this question

Physics news on Phys.org
, but I believe that the magnetic field strength can be found by using the equation B = μ N I/l. The value of μ depends on the material of the magnet, so you will need to know that information in order to get the correct answer. In this equation, N is the number of turns in the coil, I is the current flowing through it, and l is the length of the arm OA. Plugging in the given values, we get B = (μ*200*30 mA)/33 cm = 18 μT.

Related to How Is Magnetic Field Strength Calculated in a Balanced Wire Coil System?

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a force field that surrounds a magnet or electric current, exerting a force on other magnets or charged particles. It is responsible for the attraction or repulsion of objects and is measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G).

2. How do you find the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field can be found using a magnetometer, which measures the amount of force exerted on a test magnet or charged particle. This measurement is then converted into units of tesla or gauss.

3. What factors affect the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field is affected by the distance from the source, the size and strength of the magnet or electric current, and any intervening materials that may affect the field, such as iron or other magnetic materials.

4. How can I map or visualize a magnetic field?

A magnetic field can be mapped using a compass or a magnetic field mapping tool. These tools help to visualize the direction and strength of the field at different points in space.

5. Why is it important to know the magnetic field strength?

Knowing the magnetic field strength is important in various scientific and technological applications, such as designing electromagnets, understanding the behavior of charged particles in a magnetic field, and navigating using a compass. It also helps in studying the Earth's magnetic field and its impact on our planet.