How is negative ion acceleration possible?

In summary: The box is still there, but the handle is gone. This is because the force I used to move the box was greater than the force that held the handle on. In the same way, the electric field of the nucleus is greater than the electric field of the accelerator, so the nucleus can be pulled along with the electrons.
Strat-O
I was wondering at the remarkable fact that when an atom has an extra electron it is then possible to apply forces to it to accelerate it. What I find remarkable is the fact that even a heavy ion like mercury where the nucleus is many orders of magnitude more massive than the one electron that is able to cause the acceleration. One could conclude that when the forces to accelerate the ion are applied, it rips off the electron(s) and the electrons go in the direction of acceleration and the now positive nucleus is then accelerated in the opposite direction.

For example, in the case of a cyclotron, a speeding mercury ion (-) encounters the magnetic field and the electrons get pulled to the right, say, and the bare nucleus would then be pulled to the left. In real life this does not happen (or does it to a small extent?) but what prevents it from happening generally?

Thanks,

Marlin

Physics news on Phys.org
The electrons are still bound to the nucleus, so as long as your accelerating force doesn't exceed the binding energy then you would be able to move the whole atom without stripping the electron off. I'm assuming that the binding energy of that extra electron is quite low compared to the others, but still high enough to enable the acceleration of the atom.

The electric field of the nucleus, at the position of the electron, is large compared with the electric field of the accelerator.

Drakkith has it right. One way to think of it is that you are pushing the electrons in one direction, and because the electrons attract the nucleus, the nucleus gets dragged along with it. So long as you don't deionize the ion, this works.

The same thing happens macroscopically - think about a box with a handle duct-taped on. If I pull the handle softly, the box moves. If I jerk it, the handle comes off.

Related to How is negative ion acceleration possible?

1. How do negative ions accelerate?

Negative ion acceleration is possible through a process called ionization. This involves stripping electrons from neutral atoms or molecules, creating negatively charged ions. These ions can then be accelerated using electric fields.

2. What causes negative ions to accelerate?

Negative ions accelerate due to the presence of an electric field. This field provides a force that pushes the ions in a specific direction, causing them to gain speed as they move. The stronger the electric field, the faster the ions will accelerate.

3. Why are negative ions accelerated in certain environments?

Negative ions can be accelerated in certain environments due to the presence of electric fields or other forms of energy, such as magnetic fields or radio waves. These environments provide the necessary conditions for ionization and acceleration to occur.

4. What types of particles can be accelerated as negative ions?

A wide range of particles, including atoms, molecules, and even subatomic particles like electrons, can be accelerated as negative ions. As long as the particle has a negative charge, it can be accelerated using electric fields.

5. How are negative ions used in scientific research and technology?

Negative ions have a variety of uses in scientific research and technology. They are used in particle accelerators to study the fundamental properties of matter, and in ion implantation techniques for materials engineering. Negative ions are also used in air purifiers, as they are believed to have beneficial effects on human health.

Back