How is power transmitted in an exoskeleton arm?

• Thread starter Tabaristiio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arm Power
In summary: The Exoskeleton called "Sarcos" looks like it uses a combination of linear drive pivots and belt/cable pull drives.
Tabaristiio
In an exoskeleton arm that is designed with the purpose of enabling the user to lift more weight than they can unassisted through multiplying the force / power applied by that user, where exactly does the power that is generated by the motor get transmitted to and how does it get transmitted? What is the final component that the power gets transmitted to and how does it get transmitted?

Does the motor convert rotary motion into linear motion to allow the user to lift objects linearly (upwards from the ground)? If so, how?

What does the final component that receives the power do in order to allow the user to lift such heavy objects?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you provide an example with pictures of the exoskeleton you're describing?

Mech_Engineer said:
Can you provide an example with pictures of the exoskeleton you're describing?

It's not any particular exoskeleton but in general. Especially ones that are operated by an electric motor where it's located in the arm. Just like how there are general rules in how power is transmitted from the engine to the wheels in cars.

There are many ways to solve the problem, I'm not sure there's a great way to answer your question. Maybe start with searching Google for "exoskeleton motor" and see what comes up?

Here's one example for a knee exoskeleton:
Actuator-with-Labels.jpg

Mech_Engineer said:
There are many ways to solve the problem, I'm not sure there's a great way to answer your question. Maybe start with searching Google for "exoskeleton motor" and see what comes up?

Here's one example for a knee exoskeleton:
View attachment 207847
With all due respect, it seems like you're assuming that I haven't already performed a google search. I already have and the only reason why I even asked this question here was because I couldn't find the answer to the question I was looking for anywhere else. Also, the fact that you failed to post anything from any other website that answers my question further reinforces my point. What you posted isn't what my question was about. My question wasn't about a knee exoskeleton (a person doesn't use their knees to lift weight). My question was about the arm in which the exoskeleton is specifically made for lifting heavier weight than what a human can lift in normal conditions whilst unassisted. How is the force / power produced by the motor get transmitted to the final component before the person is able to lift an object from the ground or simply move heavy objects? What does the final component do in order to allow the user to lift such objects?

I'm sure there are some universal rules / facts that apply to all exoskeletons just like how they apply in cars. Some things differ from car to car. However, there are certain things about power transmission that are universal. For example, the final component in which the power gets transmitted to in a car from the engine are the wheels via the drive shaft and final drive unit. It's the same thing here. I'm trying to learn common facts about power transmission in all exoskeletons in general.

Tabaristiio said:
My question was about the arm in which the exoskeleton is specifically made for lifting heavier weight than what a human can lift in normal conditions whilst unassisted.

Can you provide an example of an "exoskeleton" which currently exists and is capable of this?

Mech_Engineer said:
Can you provide an example of an "exoskeleton" which currently exists and is capable of this?

If they don't exist, then you could just write that.

It looks to me like the SARCOS using is a combination of linear drive pivots and belt/cable pull drives. You can see evidence of these in the knee, hip, shoulder, elbow, and forearm rotation joints. It's kind of an interesting exercise trying to figure out what drives each joint in the unit.

Couple of pictures:
XOS-2_DSC1798_Neutral-S.jpg

a8a99ca5f64927d36c6ed4f7b7c8ef1e.jpg

rtn08_exo_06.jpg

Related to How is power transmitted in an exoskeleton arm?

1. How does power move through an exoskeleton arm?

Power is transmitted in an exoskeleton arm through a combination of mechanical and electrical systems. The mechanical components, such as gears and pulleys, help to transfer the force generated by the user's muscles to the desired movement in the arm. The electrical components, such as motors and sensors, work together to control the movement and provide feedback to the user.

2. What types of motors are typically used in exoskeleton arms?

The most commonly used motors in exoskeleton arms are DC (direct current) motors. These motors are able to provide precise and controllable movements, making them ideal for use in exoskeleton technology. Brushless DC motors are also commonly used for their efficiency and durability.

3. How is power regulated in an exoskeleton arm?

Power regulation in an exoskeleton arm is typically achieved through a control system that monitors the user's movements and adjusts the power output accordingly. This allows for smooth and efficient movement, while also preventing excessive strain on the user's muscles.

4. Can the power transmission in an exoskeleton arm be customized for different users?

Yes, the power transmission in an exoskeleton arm can be customized for different users. This is achieved through the use of sensors and control systems that can be calibrated to the specific needs and abilities of each individual user. This ensures that the exoskeleton arm provides the right amount of assistance and support for each user's unique situation.

5. What are the limitations of power transmission in exoskeleton arms?

There are a few limitations to consider when it comes to power transmission in exoskeleton arms. One limitation is the weight and size of the power source, which can impact the overall mobility and usability of the arm. Additionally, the power transmission may not be able to compensate for all movements and tasks, requiring the user to still use their own muscles for certain actions. Finally, the cost of the technology may be a limiting factor for widespread use and accessibility.