How is Probability Applied in Newspaper Reading Time Statistics?

• MHB
  • Thread starter tcardwe3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, the time spent in minutes in reading newspapers for an adult per day can be approximated by a normal distribution with a mean of 15 minutes and a standard deviation of 3 minutes. The shortest time spent in reading newspapers for an adult per day that would still place him in the top 10% is approximately 9 minutes.
tcardwe3
The time spent in minutes in reading newspapers for an adult per day can be approximated by a normal distribution with a mean of 15 minutes and a standard deviation of 3 minutes.
A-Find the probability that the reading time per day for a randomly selected adult is more than 18 minutes
B-If 200 adults are randomly selected, approximately how many of them will spend in reading newspaper per day between 12-19.5 minutes?
C-What is the shortest time spent in reading newspapers for an adult per day that would still place him in the top 10%?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
With the given data measured in minutes, we are given:

\(\displaystyle \mu=15\) and \(\displaystyle \sigma=3\)

Now, in order to use the actual data values, we need to standardize them, or convert them into $z$-scores.

a) Can you convert 18 to a $z$-score, and then use your table to find the area under the standard normal curve to the right of this $z$-score?

I got 1 for the z score
18-15/3=1.0
and that's .8413 on my z score graph in my book

tcardwe3 said:
I got 1 for the z score
18-15/3=1.0
and that's .8413 on my z score graph in my book

That's the area to the left of $z=1$, so what is the area to the right?

MarkFL said:
That's the area to the left of $z=1$, so what is the area to the right?

Ummm...I don't see it

tcardwe3 said:
Ummm...I don't see it

For any given $z$-score, what is the sum of the area to the left and the area to the right, that is, what is the total area under the standard normal curve?

MarkFL said:
For any given $z$-score, what is the sum of the area to the left and the area to the right, that is, what is the total area under the standard normal curve?

Okay, so I got .8413 for A and 155 for B
Am I on the right track?

tcardwe3 said:
Okay, so I got .8413 for A and 155 for B
Am I on the right track?

Part A says, "Find the probability that the reading time per day for a randomly selected adult is more than 18 minutes."

You have found the area to the left of $z=1$ so you have found the probability that the reading time per day for a randomly selected adult is less than 18 minutes.

If the total area under the standard normal curve is 1, and the area to the left is 0.8413, then what is the area to the right? It may help to let the unknown area be $A$, and state what we know as an equation, and then solve for $A$:

\(\displaystyle 0.8413+A=1\)

Now, solve for $A$...what do you get?

MarkFL said:
Part A says, "Find the probability that the reading time per day for a randomly selected adult is more than 18 minutes."

You have found the area to the left of $z=1$ so you have found the probability that the reading time per day for a randomly selected adult is less than 18 minutes.

If the total area under the standard normal curve is 1, and the area to the left is 0.8413, then what is the area to the right? It may help to let the unknown area be $A$, and state what we know as an equation, and then solve for $A$:

\(\displaystyle 0.8413+A=1\)

Now, solve for $A$...what do you get?

You get .1587

tcardwe3 said:
You get .1587

Correct good!

For B I get:

\(\displaystyle N=\frac{200}{3\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{12}^{19.5} e^{-\frac{(x-15)^2}{18}}\,dx\approx155\)

This agrees with your result. (Yes)

Do you have any ideas for part C?

Related to How is Probability Applied in Newspaper Reading Time Statistics?

1. What are statistics problems?

Statistics problems are mathematical problems that involve the collection, analysis, interpretation, and presentation of data. They are used to make sense of large amounts of data and to draw conclusions or make predictions about a population or phenomenon.

2. What are the types of statistics problems?

The two main types of statistics problems are descriptive statistics and inferential statistics. Descriptive statistics involve summarizing and describing data, while inferential statistics involve making generalizations or predictions about a population based on a sample of data.

3. How do you solve a statistics problem?

The process for solving a statistics problem typically involves identifying the problem, gathering and organizing relevant data, choosing an appropriate statistical method or model, and interpreting the results. It is important to carefully define the problem and choose the right tools and techniques for analysis.

4. What are common challenges in solving statistics problems?

Some common challenges in solving statistics problems include correctly identifying and defining the problem, selecting the most appropriate statistical method or model, and accurately interpreting the results. It is also important to ensure the data used is valid, reliable, and representative of the population of interest.

5. How are statistics problems used in scientific research?

Statistics problems are used in scientific research to analyze and interpret data, test hypotheses, and make predictions. They are important in fields such as biology, psychology, economics, and many others, and help researchers draw meaningful conclusions and make informed decisions based on data.