How Is Stellar Mass Distributed in the Milky Way?

The first subproblem is to calculate the probability, the second one is to count the number of stars, and the third one is to get the total mass. It seems all these three subproblems are independent to each other, but they are actually deeply related.In summary, The given information tells us that the Milky Way contains roughly 3 × 10^11 stars that were formed simultaneously. The initial mass function of these stars follows the distribution of dN/dM ∝ M^-2.35 in the range of 0.1–100 solar masses. Using the integral method, we can determine that there are approximately 2.86 × 10^11 stars in the galaxy that are less massive than the Sun, and they make
nissanztt90

Homework Statement

Assume the Milky Way contains about 3 × 10^11 stars that were formed all at once,
with an initial mass function:

[tex]\frac{dN}{dM}\propto M^{-2.35}[/tex]

in the range 0.1–100 solar masses.

How many stars in the Galaxy are less massive than the Sun? How much mass
do these stars make up? What fraction of the total stellar mass is it?

Homework Equations

[tex]N_{total}= \int \frac{dN}{dM} dm[/tex], with an upper limit of 100 solar masses, and a lower limit of .1 solar masses.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since dN/dM is proportional to M^-2.35...

Set the integral up as...

[tex]3x10^{11}=\int CM^{-2.35} dm[/tex], with the same boundaries as before, 100, and .1.

Solving for C, i got 1.81x10^10.

Changing the boundaries to 1 solar mass and .1 to find how many stars have a mass lower than the sun i got..

N= 1.81x10^10[-.741+16.6] = 2.86x10^11 stars

Now where I am having trouble is finding the mass fraction. The total mass would just be the sum of the mass of all the stars, but I am having trouble figuring out how to manipulate the integral to give me the total mass. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dear nissanztt90 , I wish I could do some help. Hints are given below in details, yet, you have to get the final results on your own. And please translate the standard tex codes yourself.

The problem says that, the stars haver a continuous mass distribution ranking from $0.1m$ to $100m$, where the constant $m$ is the mass of sun. The distribution function of probability density is:
$$
q = k · M^{-2.35}
$$
where the constant $k$ is to be determined. Hence the probability for a star to carry a mass from $M$ to $M+dM$ is
$$
P(M)= \int k · M^{-2.35} dM = \frac{k}{-1.35} M^{-1.35} (Eq. 1)
$$
For $M \in [0.1m, 100m]$, the probability for a star carrying mass from $0.1m$ to $100m$ is 1. Hence
$$
[ \frac{k}{-1.35} M^{-1.35} ] _{0.1m} ^{100m} =1
$$
$$
k · (100m)^{-1.35} - (0.1m)^{-1.35} = -1.35
$$
Hence
$$
k=\frac{1.35}{ (0.1m)^{-1.35}-(100m)^{-1.35} } (Eq. 2)
$$
Now, we can get down to your three problems.----

1. What fraction of the total stellar mass is it? "

The fraction of the stars less massive than the Sun, is the probability of carrying mass from $0.1m$ to $m$. Just set the upper and lower limit of the integral in Eq.1 to be $m$ and $0.1m$, respectively.

2. How many stars in the Galaxy are less massive than the Sun?

As you have got the probability in subproblem 1, just multiply the total number of stars ($N=3 · 10^11$) with the probability.

3. How much mass do these stars make up?

As you have got the number of stars in subproblem 2, just multiply the number of stars with mass $M$ and their coreesponding mass $M$, i.e. calculate the integral (with $k$ in Eq.2)
$$
\int _{0.1m} ^{m} N · k · M^{-2.35} · M dM
$$

Comments:
1. The first step towards the solution is constructing the probability density function for continuous distribution. I would like to draw your attention to Maxwell Speed Distribution of Gas Molecular for an inspiring comparison.

2. It's interesting that we take the opposite order to solve the three subproblems.

Related to How Is Stellar Mass Distributed in the Milky Way?

1. What is integral manipulation?

Integral manipulation is the process of changing the form of an integral in order to make it easier to evaluate or solve. This involves using algebraic and calculus techniques to rewrite the integral in a more simplified or recognizable form.

2. Why is integral manipulation important?

Integral manipulation is important because it allows us to solve difficult integrals that would otherwise be impossible to evaluate. It also helps in understanding the behavior of functions and their relationship to each other.

3. What are some common techniques used in integral manipulation?

Some common techniques used in integral manipulation include substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric identities, and partial fraction decomposition. These techniques help to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

4. Can integral manipulation be used for indefinite and definite integrals?

Yes, integral manipulation can be used for both indefinite and definite integrals. Indefinite integrals involve finding the general antiderivative of a function, while definite integrals involve finding the area under a curve between two points. Both types of integrals can benefit from integral manipulation techniques.

5. Are there any limitations to integral manipulation?

Yes, there are limitations to integral manipulation. Some integrals are too complex to be solved using traditional techniques, and may require advanced mathematical methods such as contour integration or series expansions. Additionally, integral manipulation may not always result in a closed-form solution and may require numerical methods for accurate evaluation.