How Is Tension Calculated in the One Dimensional Wave Equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the deduction of the one dimensional wave equation in H.F. Weinberger's book A first course in partial differential equations. The tension over a portion of the string is considered and an equation for the total force in the x-direction is derived. The equation takes into account the tension function, the arc length formula, and the derivative of the string's curve. The conversation ends with a question about the validity of this explanation.
Telemachus
Hi there. I was trying to understand this deduction of the one dimensional wave equation developed at the beggining of the book A first course in partial differential equations of H.F. Weinberger.

You can see it right here: http://books.google.com.ar/books?hl...2eHPnArCVnLC7Q0FtHljNwcV7g#v=onepage&q&f=fals

I'm having a problem with the part where he consideres the tension over the string. I don't know how this expression is deduced. The book says: We now consider an arbitrary portion [tex]s_1\leq s\leq s_2[/tex] of the string. Taking the components of the tensile force in the x-direction, we find that the total force in the x-direction acting on this portion is:

[tex]\frac{ T(s_2,t)\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}(s_2,t) }{ \sqrt { \left ( \frac{\partial x}{\partial s}\right )^2+\left( \frac{\partial y}{\partial s}\right )^2}}-\frac{ T(s_1,t)\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}(s_1,t) }{ \sqrt { \left ( \frac{\partial x}{\partial s}\right )^2+\left( \frac{\partial y}{\partial s}\right )^2}}[/tex]

The whole problem for me now is just this thing. I think I understand a bit what this equation says, but perhaps some one could help me to figure this out more clearly. At first, T is some function, let's say a function force that depends on the material, and as we stretch it or compress, as a spring, it produces a reaction. Ok. Then the denominator is the arc length formula, so its saying how much we stretched or compressed the string. And the other thing is the derivative of the curve, and I think its there because the force goes tangential to the string. Is this lecture right?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's nothing terribly complicated. The slope of the string at the point s is given by tan θ = ∂y/∂x = (∂y/∂s)/(∂x/∂s). The horizontal component of the tension is therefore given by
[tex]T(s,t)\cos\theta = T(s,t)\frac{\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}}{\sqrt{\left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}\right)^2+\left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}\right)^2}}[/tex]

FAQ: How Is Tension Calculated in the One Dimensional Wave Equation?

1. What is the one dimensional wave equation?

The one dimensional wave equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a wave in one dimension. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model waves in various systems, such as sound waves and electromagnetic waves.

2. How is the one dimensional wave equation derived?

The one dimensional wave equation is derived from the wave equation, which is a general equation that describes the propagation of waves in any number of dimensions. To obtain the one dimensional wave equation, the general wave equation is simplified by assuming that the wave is only traveling in one dimension, resulting in a simpler equation.

3. What are the variables in the one dimensional wave equation?

The variables in the one dimensional wave equation are time (t) and position (x). These variables represent the location and time at which the wave is being observed. The equation also includes other constants, such as the speed of the wave (c) and the amplitude (A), which represents the maximum displacement of the wave.

4. What physical phenomena can be described by the one dimensional wave equation?

The one dimensional wave equation can be used to describe a wide range of physical phenomena, including sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and even the vibrations of strings or other objects. It is a fundamental equation in the study of wave behavior and has applications in various fields such as acoustics, optics, and seismology.

5. What are some limitations of the one dimensional wave equation?

The one dimensional wave equation is a simplified model that does not account for all possible factors that may affect the behavior of a wave, such as dissipation, dispersion, and non-linear effects. It also assumes that the medium in which the wave is propagating is homogeneous and isotropic, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Therefore, while the one dimensional wave equation is a useful tool, it may not always accurately represent the behavior of waves in all situations.

Back