How Is Tension Calculated When Lifting a Bowling Ball?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the tension in a rope when a bowling ball is suspended from the ceiling and then released. The conversation includes a discussion of vector diagrams, velocity, acceleration, and mass, ultimately arriving at a solution for the force of tension, which was found to be 764N. However, this solution was later found to be incorrect due to an incorrect estimation of the mass of the ball.
physicsnobrain

Homework Statement

A bowling ball is suspended from a ceiling hook using a thin piece of rope. The rope is
exerting a 75 N force upward on the ball. Suppose that the rope is unhooked from the ceiling and pulled upward so that the
bowling ball rises 1.2 meters in 1.5 seconds. What will be the tension in the rope during
this time?

Homework Equations

No clue

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsnobrain said:

Homework Statement

A bowling ball is suspended from a ceiling hook using a thin piece of rope. The rope is
exerting a 75 N force upward on the ball. Suppose that the rope is unhooked from the ceiling and pulled upward so that the
bowling ball rises 1.2 meters in 1.5 seconds. What will be the tension in the rope during
this time?

Homework Equations

No clue

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely lost.
Can you draw a vector diagram showing all the forces on the ball? What must these force vectors sum to?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Can you draw a vector diagram showing all the forces on the ball? What must these force vectors sum to?

AM

t0i980.png

I can find the Vy by doing v=d/t, then using the equation y = yi + yvit + 1/2at^2 to find the acceleration. I find the y velocity to be 0.8 m/s and the acceleration to be 1.06667 m/s^2. After this I have no idea waht to do

Is this question possible to solve? Does anyone know?

Huzzah! I have figured it out!

First one must solve for the velocity in the y direction by doing v=d/t which is 1.2m/1.5s and this equals to 0.8m/s.

Now since you have the velocity you can now solve for the acceleration.

We use this equation:

y = Yi + Yvit + 1/2at^2

Solving for acceleration we get: 1.06667 m/s^2

Now since we have the acceleration one can now solve for the mass using

F = ma

75N = m(1.06667)

m= 70.3 kg

Now since we have the mass we can solve for force of tension using this

Fnet = Ft - Fg

we use this because we have to do Ft - Fg because Ft is bigger than Fg obviously because if it wasn't then gravity would pull it down but this is not the case since it is moving up.

Anyways, since Fnet = ma we will solve for Ft (the force of tension or simply put tension) because this is what the question asks us to do !

Anyways now we can rearrange that formula and turn it into this to solve for tension because we are looking for it:

Ft = Fnet + Fg

which equals:

Ft = ma + mg
Ft = 70.3kg(1.06667) + (70.3kg)(9.81)

Ft = 764 N

The force of tension is 764N.

Thanks for all the help and information everyone! It was sooo useful!

physicsnobrain said:
Huzzah! I have figured it out!

First one must solve for the velocity in the y direction by doing v=d/t which is 1.2m/1.5s and this equals to 0.8m/s.

Now since you have the velocity you can now solve for the acceleration.

We use this equation:

y = Yi + Yvit + 1/2at^2

Solving for acceleration we get: 1.06667 m/s^2

Now since we have the acceleration one can now solve for the mass using

F = ma

75N = m(1.06667)

m= 70.3 kg

Now since we have the mass we can solve for force of tension using this

Fnet = Ft - Fg

we use this because we have to do Ft - Fg because Ft is bigger than Fg obviously because if it wasn't then gravity would pull it down but this is not the case since it is moving up.

Anyways, since Fnet = ma we will solve for Ft (the force of tension or simply put tension) because this is what the question asks us to do !

Anyways now we can rearrange that formula and turn it into this to solve for tension because we are looking for it:

Ft = Fnet + Fg

which equals:

Ft = ma + mg
Ft = 70.3kg(1.06667) + (70.3kg)(9.81)

Ft = 764 N

The force of tension is 764N.

Thanks for all the help and information everyone! It was sooo useful!
The only problem is that it is not correct! The mass of the ball is nowhere near 70.3 kg.! No one could lift it if that were the case.

The force of tension is 75N when the ball is stationary. So what does that tell you about the mass of the ball?

Once you have m, you can use your equation:

Ft = mg + ma

AM

FAQ: How Is Tension Calculated When Lifting a Bowling Ball?

1. What is the definition of force of tension?

The force of tension is a pulling force that is transmitted through a flexible object, such as a rope or cable, when it is pulled tight by opposing forces.

2. How is the force of tension calculated?

The force of tension can be calculated using the equation F = mg, where F is the force of tension, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the force of tension?

The force of tension is affected by the weight of the object being pulled, the angle of the rope or cable, and the strength and elasticity of the material.

4. How does the force of tension impact motion?

The force of tension can either accelerate or decelerate an object, depending on the direction of the tension and the other forces acting on the object.

5. What are some real-world examples of force of tension?

Some examples of the force of tension in action include a person pulling a wagon with a rope, a weightlifting competition, or a bridge supporting the weight of cars and trucks.

Back