How Is the Angle Between Two Planes Calculated Using Vector Dot Product?

In summary: The acute angle is the one that is used in the formula for the angle between two planes. So even if the planes intersect at an angle greater than 90°, we can always find the smaller acute angle between them.
Bassa

Homework Statement

I am preparing for my calculus III class over the break. I came across the formula for the angle between two planes which is:

cosΘ = (|a.b|)/(||a|||b||)

Homework Equations

a.b = ||a||||b||cosΘ

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the dot product formula is:

a.b = ||a||||b||cosΘ

Why do we put the absolute value bars when we are trying to find the angle between two planes if the original formula doesn't have absolute values in it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bassa said:

Homework Statement

I am preparing for my calculus III class over the break. I came across the formula for the angle between two planes which is:

Homework Equations

a.b = ||a||||b||cosΘ

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the dot product formula is:

a.b = ||a||||b||cosΘ

Why do we put the absolute value bars when we are trying to find the angle between two planes if the original formula doesn't have absolute values in it?

That is the formula for the angle between two vectors. You haven't told us what a and b are but I would presume you mean for them to be the normal vectors to the plane. Remember that the angle between two vectors can be from ##0## to ##\pi##, but the angle between two planes in never greater than ##\pi / 2##. If your cosine comes out negative that means the angle between the normals is greater than ##\pi /2## and you want its supplement. Dropping the negative sign will give you that.

Likes Bassa
LCKurtz said:
That is the formula for the angle between two vectors. You haven't told us what a and b are but I would presume you mean for them to be the normal vectors to the plane. Remember that the angle between two vectors can be from ##0## to ##\pi##, but the angle between two planes in never greater than ##\pi / 2##. If your cosine comes out negative that means the angle between the normals is greater than ##\pi /2## and you want its supplement. Dropping the negative sign will give you that.

Thank you very much for this thorough explanation!

LCKurtz said:

Well, now come to think about it more intently, why can the angle between two planes not be more than 90 degrees? I could imagine many intersecting planes having an angle more than 90 degrees between them.

Bassa said:
Well, now come to think about it more intently, why can the angle between two planes not be more than 90 degrees? I could imagine many intersecting planes having an angle more than 90 degrees between them.
Because there is also an acute angle that is formed, that is the supplement of the angle of more than 90°.

Related to How Is the Angle Between Two Planes Calculated Using Vector Dot Product?

1. What is the definition of the angle between two planes?

The angle between two planes is the angle formed by the intersection of the two planes.

2. How is the angle between two planes calculated?

The angle between two planes can be calculated by finding the angle between the normal vectors of the two planes.

3. What is the significance of the angle between two planes in mathematics?

The angle between two planes is important in understanding the relationship between the two planes and the orientation of their intersection.

4. Can the angle between two planes be negative?

No, the angle between two planes is always positive and is measured in degrees or radians.

5. How does the angle between two planes affect the distance between them?

The angle between two planes does not directly affect the distance between them. However, it can be used in conjunction with other calculations, such as the angle between two lines, to determine the shortest distance between the two planes.