How is the Approximation of \( e^r \) Derived in Discrete Compounding?

In summary, the conversation discusses discrete compounding and the equation (1+r)^n, with a focus on the approximation of e^r. The use of a differential equation, specifically \frac{dM}{dt} = rM(t), is also mentioned for solving the problem. The conversation also brings up the equation e^{-r(T-t)} and its relation to the differential equation. The use of Taylor series is suggested as a method for finding the solution.
courtrigrad
Hello all

For discrete compunding, we have after n years [tex] (1+r)^n [/tex] where r is the interest rate. IF we receive m interest payments at a rate of [tex] \frac {r}{m} [/tex] then our discrete compounding equation becomes [tex] (1+ \frac{r}{m})^m = e^{m\log(1+(\frac{r}{m}))} \doteq e^r [/tex] After time t we will have [tex] e^{rt} [/tex]. My question is, how do they receive the approximation of [tex] e^r [/tex]? Could we look at this as a differential equation such that if we have an amount [tex] M(t) [/tex] in the bank at time t, how much will it increase from one day to another? So [tex] M(t+dt) - M(t) \doteq \frac{dM}{dt}dt + ... [/tex] How do we get the right hand side or approximation? I know it has something to do with a Taylor Series, but could someone please show me?

[tex] \frac{dM}{dt}dt = rM(t)dt [/tex] so [tex] \frac{dM}{dt} = rM(t) [/tex] Why do we multiply by [tex] dt [/tex] in the differential equation? How would we solve this equation? I know the answer is [tex] M(t) = M(0)e^{rt}[/tex]

Finally the equation [tex] e^{-r(T-t)} [/tex] relates the value you will get earlier given that you know the dollar value at time T. Is this a result of the differential equation?

Thanks a lot. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
courtrigrad said:
Hello all

For discrete compunding, we have after n years [itex] (1+r)^{n} [/itex] where r is the interest rate. IF we receive m interest payments at a rate of [tex] \frac {r}{m} [/tex] then our discrete compounding equation becomes [tex] (1+ \frac{r}{m})^m = e^{m\log(1+(\frac{r}{m}))} \doteq e^r [/tex] After time t we will have [tex] e^{rt} [/tex]. My question is, how do they receive the approximation of [tex] e^r [/tex]? Could we look at this as a differential equation such that if we have an amount [tex] M(t) [/tex] in the bank at time t, how much will it increase from one day to another? So [tex] M(t+dt) - M(t) \doteq \frac{dM}{dt}dt + ... [/tex] How do we get the right hand side or approximation? I know it has something to do with a Taylor Series, but could someone please show me?

[tex] \frac{dM}{dt}dt = rM(t)dt [/tex] so [tex] \frac{dM}{dt} = rM(t) [/tex] Why do we multiply by [tex] dt [/tex] in the differential equation? How would we solve this equation? I know the answer is [tex] M(t) = M(0)e^{rt}[/tex]

Finally the equation [tex] e^{-r(T-t)} [/tex] relates the value you will get earlier given that you know the dollar value at time T. Is this a result of the differential equation?

Thanks a lot. :smile:

1.They used an aproximation...That is for very small [itex] \frac{r}{m} [/itex]

[tex] \lim_{\frac{r}{m}\rightarrow 0} [(1+\frac{r}{m})^{\frac{m}{r}}]^{r}=e^{r} [/tex]

using the definition of "e"...

2.They multiplied by "dt" to SEPARATE VARIABLES IN THE DIFFERENTIAL EQUATION.It's a standard method...

Daniel.

Thanks. How did they get this: [tex] M(t+dt) - M(t) \doteq \frac{dM}{dt}dt + ... [/tex]

oh so basically for separation of variables we have [tex] \frac {dy}{dx} = g(x)f(y) [/tex] then the solution is [tex] \int \frac{dy}{f(y)} = \int g(x) dx [/tex]

That's right... :smile: That's the easiest method among all methods to integrate SOME diff.eqns.

Daniel.

Could someone please show me how they got this: [tex] M(t+dt) - M(t) \doteq \frac{dM}{dt}dt + ... [/tex] (I know from the other posts it is a Taylor series expansion) however could you just explain this a little further?

Also with the separation of variables, [tex] \frac{dM}{dt} = rM(t) [/tex] could someone please show me how they separate the variables?

Also how do you get [tex] e^{-r(T-t)} [/tex] for the value of the money at an earlier time?

Last edited:

FAQ: How is the Approximation of \( e^r \) Derived in Discrete Compounding?

1. What is the formula for calculating interest rate?

The formula for calculating interest rate is: Interest Rate = (Interest / Principal) x 100

2. How do I determine the interest rate when given the principal and interest amounts?

To determine the interest rate, you can use the following formula: Interest Rate = (Interest / Principal) x 100. Simply plug in the values for interest and principal and solve for the interest rate.

3. How do I convert an annual interest rate to a monthly interest rate?

To convert an annual interest rate to a monthly interest rate, you can use the following formula: Monthly Interest Rate = (Annual Interest Rate / 12). This will give you the monthly interest rate in decimal form, which can then be converted to a percentage by multiplying by 100.

4. How does compounding affect the interest rate calculation?

Compounding involves adding the interest earned to the principal amount, resulting in a higher principal amount for the next interest calculation. This can lead to a higher overall interest rate over time. To account for compounding, you can use the formula: Interest Rate = (Interest / Principal) x 100 x (Number of Compounding Periods / Number of Payment Periods).

5. What factors can affect the interest rate for a loan or investment?

The interest rate for a loan or investment can be affected by various factors such as the current market conditions, inflation rates, credit score of the borrower, and the type of loan or investment. It is important to consider these factors when determining the interest rate for a particular scenario.

Back