How Is the Constant C₂ Determined in a Heat Conduction Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a heat conduction problem involving a 2nd order linear homogenous differential equation and its solution. The constants in the solution are determined using boundary conditions. The conversation also includes a discussion about determining the value of one of the constants using hyperbolic expressions. The correct approach is identified and a typo is pointed out. The conversation ends with a clarification on how to solve for the constant in question.
bugatti79

Homework Statement

Folks, I am self studying through a heat conduction problem involving a 2nd order linear homogenous differential equation which has the solution of the form

##\theta (x)=C_1\cosh mx+ C_2\sinh mx## (1)

where ##m \equiv \sqrt \frac{c}{a}= \sqrt{\frac{\beta P}{k A}} ##

The constants are dertermined via the BC's ##\theta(0)=\theta_0## and

##[\theta_x+\frac{\beta}{k} \theta]_{x=l}=0## using ##sinh x =(e^x-e^{-x})/2## etc etc.

I can determine ##C_1=\theta(0)## but I don't know how ##C_2## is determined using the hyperbolic expression...

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to rearrange ##\theta_x=-\frac{\beta}{k} \theta## from the BC given and equate that to the derivative of the general form of solution and then subsitute x=l in order to find C_2...ie

##\theta'(x)= m C_1 \sinh mx +C_2 \cosh mx## therefore at x=L

##\theta'(L)=m \theta_0 \sinh m L +C_2 \cosh m L=-\frac{\beta}{k} \theta##...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like the correct approach. But you dropped a factor of m in one of the terms when you took the derivative of theta(x). It shouldn't be hard to solve for C2.

bugatti79 said:

Homework Statement

Folks, I am self studying through a heat conduction problem involving a 2nd order linear homogenous differential equation which has the solution of the form

##\theta (x)=C_1\cosh mx+ C_2\sinh mx## (1)

where ##m \equiv \sqrt \frac{c}{a}= \sqrt{\frac{\beta P}{k A}} ##

The constants are dertermined via the BC's ##\theta(0)=\theta_0## and

##[\theta_x+\frac{\beta}{k} \theta]_{x=l}=0## using ##sinh x =(e^x-e^{-x})/2## etc etc.

I can determine ##C_1=\theta(0)## but I don't know how ##C_2## is determined using the hyperbolic expression...

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to rearrange ##\theta_x=-\frac{\beta}{k} \theta## from the BC given and equate that to the derivative of the general form of solution and then subsitute x=l in order to find C_2...ie

##\theta'(x)= m C_1 \sinh mx +C_2 \cosh mx## therefore at x=L

##\theta'(L)=m \theta_0 \sinh m L +C_2 \cosh m L=-\frac{\beta}{k} \theta##...?

TSny said:
Looks like the correct approach. But you dropped a factor of m in one of the terms when you took the derivative of theta(x). It shouldn't be hard to solve for C2.
That was a typo. I calculate ##C_2## to be

##\theta'(L)=m \theta_0 \sinh m L +m C_2 \cosh m L=-\frac{\beta}{k} \theta##

Thus ## \displaystyle C_2=\frac{-\frac{\beta}{k} \theta - \theta_0 m \sinh m L}{m \cosh m L}##

but the book gives it as

## \displaystyle C_2=-\theta_0[ \frac{\sinh mL+(\beta/mk) \cosh mL}{\cosh mL+(\beta/mk) \sinh mL}]##..?

bugatti79 said:
##\theta'(L)=m \theta_0 \sinh m L +m C_2 \cosh m L=-\frac{\beta}{k} \theta##

Don't you mean [itex]\theta'(L)=m \theta_0 \sinh m L +m C_2 \cosh m L=-\frac{\beta}{k} \theta(L)[/itex] ? :wink:

gabbagabbahey said:
Don't you mean [itex]\theta'(L)=m \theta_0 \sinh m L +m C_2 \cosh m L=-\frac{\beta}{k} \theta(L)[/itex] ? :wink:

Thanks for that typo. Still doesn't clarify how the book arrives at their answer..?

bugatti79 said:
Thanks for that typo. Still doesn't clarify how the book arrives at their answer..?

Well, what is [itex]\theta(L)[/itex]?:wink:

gabbagabbahey said:
Well, what is [itex]\theta(L)[/itex]?:wink:

##\theta(L) = \theta_0 \cosh mL+C_2 \sinh mL## obtained from the first equation in post#1...therefor substituting in equation in the last post we get

[itex]\theta'(L)=m \theta_0 \sinh m L +m C_2 \cosh m L=-\frac{\beta}{k} (\theta_0 \cosh mL+C_2 \sinh mL)[/itex]...

not sure how you can get ##C_2## from this...thanks

Rearrange the terms so that the two terms with C2 are on the same side of the equation and the other terms on the other side. Then factor out the C2. For example if you had

a + b*C2 = d + e*C2

then

b*C2-e*C2 = d - a

C2*(b-e) = d-a

C2 = (d-a)/(b-e)

Very good guys...should have spotted that.

Thank you.

Related to How Is the Constant C₂ Determined in a Heat Conduction Problem?

What is the Heat Conduction Equation?

The Heat Conduction Equation is a mathematical representation of how heat is transferred through a medium, such as a solid object. It describes the relationship between temperature, heat flux, and thermal conductivity.

What is a Boundary Value Problem (BVP) in the context of Heat Conduction Equation?

A Boundary Value Problem (BVP) in the context of Heat Conduction Equation refers to a type of mathematical problem where the values of a function are specified at the boundaries of a domain. In the case of Heat Conduction Equation, the boundary conditions are used to solve for the temperature distribution within a material.

What are the main assumptions made in the Heat Conduction Equation?

The Heat Conduction Equation assumes that the material being studied is homogeneous, isotropic, and has constant thermal properties. It also assumes that heat transfer occurs only by conduction and that there is no internal heat generation or external heat sources.

What are the applications of the Heat Conduction Equation?

The Heat Conduction Equation has a wide range of applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and materials science. It is used to study heat transfer in objects such as engines, buildings, and electronic devices. It is also used in designing and optimizing thermal systems and processes.

What are some numerical methods used to solve the Heat Conduction Equation?

Some common numerical methods used to solve the Heat Conduction Equation include the finite difference method, finite element method, and boundary element method. These methods involve discretizing the domain and solving the resulting system of equations to obtain an approximate solution to the Heat Conduction Equation.