How Is the Constant k0 Calculated in the Stellar Opacity Power Law?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of creating a model of a star and the use of the power law equation to represent opacity. The constant k(0), which represents opacity at the center of the star, can be calculated by constructing a log-log diagram of opacity vs temperature for a given star's density and chemical composition. The equation for opacity varies depending on the temperature range, with an approximate form of k=k(0) at high and low temperatures and a maximum at intermediate temperatures. These approximations can be used in conjunction with expressions of stellar structure to model a star.
mccizmt2
I am trying to write some code to produce a model of a star. I've done loads of research and come to the conclusion that for ease i want to represent the opacity in my model with the power law.

k=k(0)*(rho^alpha)*(T^beta)

this seems very straight forward apart from the fact that in every source I've looked at it states how easy this equation is to use etc but never actually tells you how to calculate the constant k(0). Which i presume is opacity at the centre of the star. Could somebody please help me.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The detailed form of opacity involves some tedious calculations. The relation which the OP wants to use for opacity, is k = k0 ρα Tβ, which can represent some good approximation to the results of a detailed calculation, provided that we put some constraints on the factors of density (ρ) and temperature (T), basically confining their ranges. We also have to clarify, that α and β are functions with slow variation of their respective components (ρ and T). The constant k0 for which the OP asks, is a constant for stars of given chemical composition.
Now, in order to calculate k0 , we have to construct a log - log diagram of a star's opacity (k) vs, temperature (T), for a given star density and chemical composition. Because such a diagram is specific for a certain star, below is given a rough sketch of such a diagram

dg.gif

The numbers -3 and -1 correspond to two different densities 10-3 and 10-1 respectively.
We see that the opacity is low at high temperatures and remains roughly constant, as temperature increases. This is explained by the fact that most atoms are fully ionized there, photons have high energy, so their absorption (free - free) is not as easy, as in lower energies. Hence there, opacity works through electron scattering, which is independent of temperature (T). This results in a form k = k0. (α and β are zero).
At lower temperatures, the opacity is also low, most atoms are not ionized and there are not enough electrons to scatter radiation and photons have not sufficient energy to ionize atoms. The approximate form becomes k = k0 ρ1/2 κ4.
Finally, we see that opacity reaches a maximum at intermediate temperatures. A rough analytical approximation there is $$k = \frac {k_{0} ρ}{T^{3.5}}$$.
These analytical approximations can be used together with some expressions of stellar structure, in order to model a star.

Related to How Is the Constant k0 Calculated in the Stellar Opacity Power Law?

1. What is the Stellar Opacity Power Law?

The Stellar Opacity Power Law is a mathematical relationship that describes the opacity, or the ability to absorb and scatter light, of a star's interior as a function of temperature and density.

2. How is the Stellar Opacity Power Law calculated?

The Stellar Opacity Power Law is calculated using a combination of theoretical models and observational data. It takes into account factors such as the composition of the star, its temperature, and its density.

3. Why is the Stellar Opacity Power Law important in stellar evolution?

The Stellar Opacity Power Law is important in stellar evolution because it helps us understand how a star's internal structure changes over time. It also plays a crucial role in determining a star's luminosity and how long it will remain on the main sequence.

4. How does the Stellar Opacity Power Law affect a star's energy production?

The Stellar Opacity Power Law directly influences a star's energy production by determining how much energy is able to escape from its interior. A higher opacity means more energy is trapped, while a lower opacity allows more energy to escape.

5. How is the Stellar Opacity Power Law related to the "metallicity" of a star?

The metallicity of a star, or the abundance of elements heavier than hydrogen and helium, affects the Stellar Opacity Power Law. Stars with higher metallicity have a higher opacity, as these elements contribute to the absorption and scattering of light in the star's interior.