How Is the Divergence of J Derived in Electromagnetic Fields?

In summary, the conversation discusses a derivation found in a book, where the second term in the second line is questioned. The divergence of J is taken, but it is not clear how this term arises. A hint is given to use integration by parts and the vector calculus identity to solve the problem.
barefeet

Homework Statement

In a book I find the following derivation:
[tex] \int (J \cdot \nabla ) \frac{\bf{r} - \bf{r}'}{|\bf{r} - \bf{r}'|^3} d^3\mathbf{r'}= -\sum_{i=1}^3 \int J_i \frac{\partial}{\partial r_i'} \frac{\bf{r} - \bf{r}'}{|\bf{r} - \bf{r}'|^3} d^3\mathbf{r'} \\
= -\sum_{i=1}^3 \int J_i \frac{\bf{r} - \bf{r}'}{|\bf{r} - \bf{r}'|^3} d^2r_{j\neq i}'\bigg|_{r_i' = -\infty}^\infty + \int \frac{\bf{r} - \bf{r}'}{|\bf{r} - \bf{r}'|^3} \nabla' \cdot \mathbf{J} d^3\mathbf{r'} [/tex]

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the first line, but in the second line I don't understand how the second term comes about. I don't see how the divergence of J is taken as the nabla operator doesn't operate on it. If I calculate for example one of the three terms:
[tex] \int J_x \frac{\partial}{\partial x'} \frac{\bf{r} - \bf{r}'}{|\bf{r} - \bf{r}'|^3} d^3\mathbf{r'} [/tex]
I don't see how a term with [itex] \frac{\partial J_x}{\partial x'}[/itex] comes out of this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a hint: integration by parts

the x component of j*grad (r/r3) is j*grad(rx/r3), not jxgrad(rx/r3) you then use the vector calculus identity
div(fV)=fdivV+V*grad(f)

Related to How Is the Divergence of J Derived in Electromagnetic Fields?

1. What is the significance of deriving electromagnetic fields?

The derivation of electromagnetic fields is crucial in understanding the behavior and interaction of electric and magnetic fields, which are fundamental forces in nature. It helps in the development of theories and principles that explain the production, propagation, and effects of electromagnetic waves.

2. How are electromagnetic fields derived?

Electromagnetic fields are derived using Maxwell's equations, which are a set of four equations that describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields. These equations take into account the principles of electromagnetism and are derived from experimental observations and mathematical calculations.

3. Can electromagnetic fields be derived from first principles?

No, electromagnetic fields cannot be derived from first principles. The concept of electric and magnetic fields is based on experimental observations and cannot be derived from fundamental principles like the laws of thermodynamics or conservation of energy. However, Maxwell's equations can be derived from first principles and used to explain electromagnetic fields.

4. What factors affect the strength of electromagnetic fields?

The strength of electromagnetic fields is affected by the magnitude and direction of the electric and magnetic fields, the distance between the source and the observer, and the properties of the medium through which the fields travel. The frequency and wavelength of the electromagnetic wave also play a role in determining the strength of the fields.

5. How are electromagnetic fields used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic fields have numerous applications in everyday life, including communication technologies such as radios, televisions, and cell phones. They are also used in medical imaging, electricity generation and distribution, and industrial processes. Additionally, electromagnetic fields play a crucial role in natural phenomena such as sunlight, lightning, and the Earth's magnetic field.

Back