How Is the Electric Field Intensity Calculated on a Charged Sphere's Surface?

In summary, Gauss' Law states that the electric field intensity at a point is proportional to the charge situated at that point.
gracy

Homework Statement

The electric potential on the surface of a sphere of radius R and charge ##3##×##10^-6## is 500V.The intensity of electric field on the surface of the sphere (in N/C)is

Homework Equations

##V##=##(\frac{1}{4πε0}\frac{q}{R})^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

Actually I have solution but still I am unable to understand.So ,instead of my attempt at a solution .I 'll post solution itself.
##E##=##\frac{\left(\frac{1}{4πε0}\frac{q}{R}\right)^2}{\frac{q}{4πε0}}##

=##\frac{25×10^4}{27×10^3}##

=##\frac{250}{27}##

I want to how the above formula of E is derived.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get these squares ? See here

BvU said:
Where did you get these squares ?
I didn't get you.

psph[1].gif
psph.gif

An image with red cross on it!

Yeah, company politics forbid easy cut & paste. I uploaded the picture from the link. Which of course you studied extensively ...

BvU said:
Which of course you studied extensively ...
You,king of sarcasm!

BvU said:
Which of course you studied extensively ...
But actually I have studied it extensively before posting this thread(hyperphysics: this site is quite popular after wiki I usually refer this for physics along with physics classroom) ,but could not figure out/extract anything useful from it as you did!

I am still confused ,please give me a hint !

gracy said:

Homework Statement

The electric potential on the surface of a sphere of radius R and charge ##3##×##10^-6## is 500V.The intensity of electric field on the surface of the sphere (in N/C)is

Homework Equations

Where did you get the square (as in the exponent being 2) in the above and in the following formulas?

Actually I have solution but still I am unable to understand.So ,instead of my attempt at a solution .I 'll post solution itself.

=##\frac{25×10^4}{27×10^3}##

=##\frac{250}{27}##

SammyS said:
Where did you get the square (as in the exponent being 2) in the above and in the following formulas?
It has been given in the solution.

I don't see no solution.

gracy said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Gracy, the equation for the potential is wrong. You either copied it incorrectly or your book is wrong. You should know the potential formula for a charged sphere.

ehild said:
You either copied it incorrectly or your book is wrong.
I copied it incorrectly.I know ##V##=##\frac{1}{4πε0r}## It was just by mistake.But I want to know about formula of E

And what is it you want to know :rolleyes: ?

gracy said:

I want to make sure there is square in the formula of E!

Sure. But by squaring ##q\over 4\pi\epsilon_0## you (or the 'solution writer') grabbed the wrong factor !
Check the dimensions too -- very helpful !

I don't know what is denominator in the formula of E?

numerator is ##V^2##?

gracy said:
I don't know what is denominator in the formula of E?
gracy said:
The intensity of electric field on the surface of the sphere (in N/C)is
According to his denominator is charge but how can this ##\frac{1}{4πε0}## be charge?

Electric field strength is Volt/meter, a.k.a. Newton/Coulomb

But I am told to express E in Newton/Coulomb

Yes. One and the same thing. Volts is Joule/Coulomb, Electric field is Newton/Coulomb and sure enough, Joule/meter = Newton !

Here denominator is coulomb means in formula there should be charge as denominator,right?

No. You also don't have a charge in the denominator of V and that is Joules/Coulomb !

Ever unraveled the dimension of ##\epsilon_0## ?

A very good place is this

I know unit of ##ε0##
##C^2##/##N##.##m^2##

Right. So does the dimension of V match your expectations ? And then: what's the difference with the dimension of E ?

Dimension for Voltage is ##ML^2T^3 I^-1## Dimension of E ##MLT^3I^-1##
BvU said:
what's the difference
Difference of one L (length).

I am still clueless about my question in op.
gracy said:

And when we flash back to post #4 ...

That's flashing back even further !

But the same link has something to say about the derivation too, I seem to remember. The name Gauss comes to mind !
I take it you can look around there all on your own (with a little patience, perhaps ...) , so -- like a good helpdesk worker -- I can now safely close this ticket, I hope ?

ehild said:
Do you remember Coulomb's Law?
##F##=##\frac{K Qq}{r^2}##

gracy said:
I am still clueless about my question in op.
They took the equation ##E##=##\frac{1}{4πε_0}\frac{q}{R^2}## and rewrote it in that form. You can check they are equivalent. This was useful because the numerator is the same as V2 and the denominator only involves the charge and some constants. Since V and q are known, this gives a quick way of finding E.

Likes gracy

Related to How Is the Electric Field Intensity Calculated on a Charged Sphere's Surface?

1. What is the formula for electric field?

The formula for electric field is E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force acting on a charge q, and q is the magnitude of the charge.

2. How is electric field related to Coulomb's law?

Electric field is related to Coulomb's law through the formula E = kq/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the magnitude of the charge, and r is the distance between the charges.

3. What are the units for electric field?

The units for electric field are Newtons per Coulomb (N/C) or Volts per meter (V/m).

4. Can the electric field be negative?

Yes, the electric field can be negative. A negative electric field indicates that the force acting on a charge is in the opposite direction of the electric field.

5. How can the electric field formula be used in real-life applications?

The electric field formula is used in various real-life applications, such as calculating the force between two charges, determining the strength of an electric field around a charged object, and designing electrical circuits and devices.