How Is the Fetal Heart Wall Speed Calculated Using Ultrasound?

• Thread starter hotmail590
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body Speed
In summary: would f2 = the given 90 beats and f0 = the given frequency? 1.95x10^6? v = given speed of sound in body 1500 m/s
hotmail590
A sound wave travels at a frequency 1.95 Mhz through a pregnant woman's abdomen and is reflected from the fetal heart wall of her unborn baby. The heart wall is moving toward the sound receiver as the heart beats. The reflected sound is then mixed with the transmitted sound, and 90.0 beats per second are detected. The speed of sound in body tissue is 1500 m/s.

Here is what I came up with so far.

(freq of beats) = [(speed of sound in body tissue)+(speed of listener, the reciever)]/[(speed of sound in body tissue)+(speed of source, the heart wall)] * (given freq sound wave) - (given freq sound wave)

so

90 = (1500 +0)/(1500 + speed of heart wall) *1.95x10^6 - 1.95x10^6

and I end up with a negative number -.06922

What am I am doing wrong??

Thank you for your help.

I also tried just entering .06922 however the answer was still wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
hotmail590 said:
A sound wave travels at a frequency 1.95 Mhz through a pregnant woman's abdomen and is reflected from the fetal heart wall of her unborn baby. The heart wall is moving toward the sound receiver as the heart beats. The reflected sound is then mixed with the transmitted sound, and 90.0 beats per second are detected. The speed of sound in body tissue is 1500 m/s.

Here is what I came up with so far.

(freq of beats) = [(speed of sound in body tissue)+(speed of listener, the reciever)]/[(speed of sound in body tissue)+(speed of source, the heart wall)] * (given freq sound wave) - (given freq sound wave)
The beat frequency represents the difference between the frequencies of the incident and reflected sound waves. This is due to doppler shift. But you have to keep in mind that there are two doppler effects here. The heart wall is moving toward the source, which is equivalent to the source moving toward the heart wall, so the frequency which it 'hears' is doppler shifted up:

[tex]f_1 = \frac{v}{v - v_{hw}}f_0[/tex]

The reflected sound is again doppler shifted up because the source (the heart wall) is moving toward the observer:

[tex]f_2 = \frac{v}{v - v_{hw}}f_1[/tex]

It is the difference [itex]f_2-f_0 [/itex] that is detected as the beat frequency.

AM

I used the second equation that you have explained; however this time I get

here is what I did

1500/(1500+Vheart) * 1.95x10^6 = 90 + 1.95*10^6

Am I using the equations incorrectly?

hotmail590 said:
I used the second equation that you have explained; however this time I get

here is what I did

1500/(1500+Vheart) * 1.95x10^6 = 90 + 1.95*10^6

Am I using the equations incorrectly?
No. You are using only one part of the doppler shift. There are two doppler shifts, effectively doubling the frequency shift.

[tex]f_2 = \frac{v^2}{(v - v_{hw})^2}f_0[/tex]

The speed of the heart wall should be about half of your figure.

I would suggest that you develop the solution algebraically before plugging in numbers. It is easier to follow for you and for us.

AM

would f2 = the given 90 beats and f0 = the given frequency? 1.95x10^6? v = given speed of sound in body 1500 m/s

after when i used those , i get an answer that is very very big.

hotmail590 said:
would f2 = the given 90 beats and f0 = the given frequency? 1.95x10^6? v = given speed of sound in body 1500 m/s

after when i used those , i get an answer that is very very big.
[tex]f_2 - f_0 = \frac{v^2}{(v - v_{hw})^2}f_0 - f_0[/tex]

[tex]\Delta v = \sqrt{\frac{v^2}{(\Delta f/f_0 + 1)}}[/tex]

[tex]\Delta v = \sqrt{\frac{1.5e3^2}{(90/1.95e6 + 1)}}[/tex]

[tex]\Delta v = \sqrt{\frac{2.25e6}{(90/1950000 + 1)}[/tex]

[tex]\Delta v = v - v_{hw} = 1499.965 m/sec[/tex]

So:

[tex]v_{hw} = 3.5e-2 = 3.5 cm/sec[/tex]

AM

FAQ: How Is the Fetal Heart Wall Speed Calculated Using Ultrasound?

What is the "Speed of Heartwall" in the body?

The "Speed of Heartwall" refers to the rate at which electrical impulses travel through the heart, allowing it to contract and pump blood throughout the body.

How is the speed of heartwall measured?

The speed of heartwall is typically measured in milliseconds and can be determined through an electrocardiogram (ECG) which records the electrical activity of the heart.

What factors can affect the speed of heartwall?

The speed of heartwall can be influenced by various factors such as age, physical activity level, overall health, and certain medical conditions such as heart disease or electrolyte imbalances.

What is a normal speed of heartwall?

The normal speed of heartwall can range from 60-100 milliseconds. However, this can vary depending on an individual's age and overall health. It is best to consult with a medical professional for an accurate assessment of your heart's speed of wall.

Why is the speed of heartwall important?

The speed of heartwall is crucial in maintaining a healthy cardiovascular system. Abnormal speeds can be a sign of underlying heart issues and can potentially lead to serious health complications.

Back