How is the Finite Difference Method Applied in Wave Approximation?

In summary: Ku)_n=u_{n-1}+(2+h^2 q(x_n))v_n-v_{n+1}$. In summary, this equation is a result of plugging the finite difference approximation into the original equation and accounting for the boundary conditions.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

We consider the finite difference method for the approximation

$\left\{\begin{matrix}
-u''(x)+q(x)u(x)=f(x)\\
u'(a)=u'(b)=0
\end{matrix}\right.$

and let $K$ be the $(N+2) \times (N+2)$ matrix of the method. Let $v \in \mathbb{R}^{N+2}, v=\begin{pmatrix}
v_0\\
v_1\\
\dots\\
\dots\\
\dots\\
v_{N+1}
\end{pmatrix}$If $(Ku)_i \leq 0 \forall i=0,1, \dots, N-1$ then $\max_{1 \leq i \leq N} \{ v_i \} \leq \max \{ v_0, v_{N+1},0\} (\star)$Proof:

We suppose that $(\star)$ does not hold.

Then $\exists n \in \{ 1,2, \dots, N\}$ such that $v_n= \max_{1 \leq i \leq N} v_i >0$, $v_n>v_0$ and $v_n > v_{N+1}$.Now $(Ku)_n=u_{n-1}+(2+h^2 q(x_n))v_n-v_{n+1} \leq 0 \Rightarrow (2+h^2 q(x_n)) v_n \leq v_{n-1}+v_{n+1}$

but $v_n \geq v_{n-1}$ and $v_n \geq v_{n+1} \Rightarrow 2 v_n \geq v_{n-1}+v_{n+1}$

Thus, $(2+h^2 q(x_n))v_n \leq v_{n-1}+v_{n+1} \leq 2 v_n$This can only hold if $q(x_n)=0$ and $v_n=v_{n-1}=v_{n+1} \Rightarrow \dots \Rightarrow v_i=v_n \forall i$, contradiction.
Could you explain me why it holds that $(Ku)_n=u_{n-1}+(2+h^2 q(x_n))v_n-v_{n+1}$ ? (Thinking)

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Sure! Let's break down the finite difference method for this problem. We start with the second derivative of $u(x)$, which is approximated by $\frac{u_{n-1}-2u_n+u_{n+1}}{h^2}$, where $h$ is the step size. Then, we plug this into our original equation and rearrange to get:

$u_{n-1}+(2+h^2q(x_n))u_n-u_{n+1}=h^2f(x_n)$

Next, we need to account for the boundary conditions $u'(a)=u'(b)=0$. This can be done by setting $u_0=u_{N+1}=0$. Now, we can write this equation in matrix form as:

$\begin{pmatrix}
2+h^2q(x_1) & -1 & 0 & \dots & 0 \\
-1 & 2+h^2q(x_2) & -1 & \dots & 0 \\
0 & -1 & 2+h^2q(x_3) & \dots & 0 \\
\dots & \dots & \dots & \dots & \dots \\
0 & 0 & 0 & -1 & 2+h^2q(x_N)
\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}
u_1 \\
u_2 \\
u_3 \\
\dots \\
u_N
\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}
h^2f(x_1) \\
h^2f(x_2) \\
h^2f(x_3) \\
\dots \\
h^2f(x_N)
\end{pmatrix}$

So, in this matrix, the $i$th row corresponds to the $i$th equation in the original system. Now, if we multiply this matrix by the vector $v$, we get:

$Kv = \begin{pmatrix}
u_0 \\
u_1 \\
u_2 \\
\dots \\
u_N \\
u_{N+1}
\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}
v_0 \\
v_1 \\
v_2 \\
\dots \\
v_N \\
v_{N+1}
\end{pmatrix}$

And since $u_0=u_{N+1}=0$, we can ignore the first and last equations

Related to How is the Finite Difference Method Applied in Wave Approximation?

1. What is the finite difference method?

The finite difference method is a numerical technique used to approximate solutions to differential equations. It involves dividing a continuous function into smaller intervals and approximating the derivatives at each point using the difference between function values at neighboring points.

2. What are the advantages of using the finite difference method?

One of the main advantages of the finite difference method is its versatility. It can be used to approximate solutions to a wide range of differential equations, including both ordinary and partial differential equations. Additionally, it is relatively easy to implement and does not require advanced mathematical knowledge.

3. How accurate is the finite difference method?

The accuracy of the finite difference method depends on the number of intervals used in the approximation and the order of the method. Generally, the more intervals used and the higher the order of the method, the more accurate the solution will be.

4. What are the limitations of the finite difference method?

One of the limitations of the finite difference method is that it can only approximate solutions at discrete points, which means it may not capture the behavior of the function between those points. It also requires a relatively fine grid to achieve high accuracy, which can be computationally expensive.

5. How is the finite difference method applied in real-world problems?

The finite difference method is commonly used in real-world problems in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It can be used to model and simulate various physical systems, such as fluid flow, heat transfer, and structural mechanics. It is also used in financial modeling to approximate solutions to differential equations in options pricing and risk management.