How is the following derived: Please help derive the following: dPh/dR

• Thread starter Zashmar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derive
In summary, the conversation discusses the power transfer in a series circuit with an internal resistance and a heating resistance. The objective is to find the maximum power transfer to the heating resistance. Using Ohm's law and optimization theorem, the equation for power transfer is derived and simplified. It is found that the maximum power transfer occurs when the heating resistance is equal to the internal resistance. This information can be useful in determining the maximum efficiency of a wire by matching its impedance to the source's internal resistance.
Zashmar
Here is the working leading up to this:
The circuit is a series circuit, with Ro being the circuit's internal resistance and Rh being the heater's resistance. We're only concerned about the power transfer to Rh. We have an input with a constant voltage V. Ohm's law: V = IR, where R is the total resistance of the circuit. In a series circuit this total resistance is the sum of the resistances in the circuit.

I = V / (Ro + Rh)

The voltage developed across the heating resistance will again be dictated by ohm's law:
Vh = I * Rh
Substitute: Vh = V * Rh / (Ro + Rh) P = I Vh
so Ph = [V / (Ro + Rh)] * [V * Rh / (Ro + Rh)]
Ph = V2 Rh / (Ro + Rh)2

Rh is the only variable, since Ro and V are fixed in this context. In order to find the maximum power transfer, we optimize this equation. Optimization theorem: a functions optimum points occur at the function boundaries, and where the first derivative of the function is equal to zero. In this case we're not going to look at the boundaries, since they are at 0 and infinite.

dPh/dRh = V2 (Ro - Rh) / (Ro + Rh)3.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you men on V2 and (Ro + Rh)2 ? Do those "2"-s mean square? Then use ^ as V^2 or (Ro+Rh)^2 or
click to "Go Advanced" and you can find above the text the symbols X2 and X2, so you can write the square of something as something 2.

So: I=V/(Ro+Rh)
and

Ph=V2Rh/(Ro+Rh)2.

It is even better to use TeX
[tex]I=\frac{V}{R_0+R_h}[/tex]
[tex]P_h=I^2R_h= \frac{V^2R_h}{(R_0+R_h)^2}[/tex]

You get the derivative of Ph with respect to Rh with the formula for the derivative of a fraction, and simplifying. If F(x) = g(x)/h(x) [tex]F'=\frac{g'h-gh'}{h^2}[/tex]

So
[tex]\frac{d P_h}{dR_h}=V^2\left(\frac{(R_0+R_h)^2-2R_h(R_0+Rh)}{(R_0+R_h)^4}\right)[/tex]

Simplify.

ehild

I am a high school student, how would i simplify that, and in terms of maximum efficiency of a wire what does this mean? ie in terms of matching impedance

The power on Rh is maximum if its derivative dPh/dRh is zero. The derivative is shown in my previous post, but it can be simplified if you factorize the numerator. [tex]\frac{d P_h}{dR_h}=V^2\left(\frac{(R_0+R_h)^2-2R_h(R_0+Rh)}{(R_0+R_h)^4}\right)=V^2\left(\frac{(R_0+R_h)(r_0+R_h-2R_h)}{(R_0+R_h)^4}\right)=V^2\frac{r_0-R_h}{(R_0+R_h)^3}=0[/tex]

What should be Rh to make the expression equal to zero?

ehild

Last edited:
So Rh has to equal Ro? wow thanks man

Yes, it is. You get the maximum power out of a voltage source on a load, equal to the internal resistance of the source.

ehild

FAQ: How is the following derived: Please help derive the following: dPh/dR

1. How is the derivative of pressure with respect to radius derived?

The derivative of pressure with respect to radius (dPh/dR) is derived using the chain rule in calculus. This means that the derivative of pressure is equal to the product of the derivative of pressure with respect to a different variable (such as volume or temperature) and the derivative of that variable with respect to radius.

2. What is the physical significance of dPh/dR?

The derivative of pressure with respect to radius (dPh/dR) is a measure of how quickly pressure changes as the radius of a system changes. It can help us understand the relationship between pressure and radius in a given system, and how small changes in radius can affect pressure.

3. Can dPh/dR be negative or positive?

Yes, dPh/dR can be either negative or positive, depending on the specific system and conditions being considered. A negative value for dPh/dR indicates that as the radius increases, pressure decreases. A positive value indicates that as the radius increases, pressure also increases.

4. What are the units of dPh/dR?

The units of dPh/dR will depend on the units of pressure and radius in the given system. For example, if pressure is measured in Pascals (Pa) and radius is measured in meters (m), then the units of dPh/dR would be Pa/m.

5. How is the derivative of pressure with respect to radius used in real-world applications?

The derivative of pressure with respect to radius (dPh/dR) is used in many real-world applications, such as in fluid mechanics and thermodynamics. It can help engineers and scientists analyze and design systems that involve changes in pressure and radius, such as pumps, turbines, and heat exchangers.